Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Colours Display

I have lots of display boards in my room and need to get things on them fairly quickly! I want to put a colours display up in my making area corner.

I was thinking of different coloured 'splodges' made by the children in different ways. So far I've come up with:

- hand prints

- tea bag splats

- tyre track prints

Has anyone got any other ideas?

My current class know all their basic colours so I'll add a few more 'interesting' colour words and was thinking of photos of different colour things too.

what about colour mixing - with splodges of eg red and yellow with the two mixing in the middle to make orange?

also prints using - duplo bricks ,stickle bricks etc

leaf printing - using colours of autumn - red, yellow and orange and brown

tight painting - cut an old pair of tight (or use pop socks) about half way up the leg - fill the foot part with dried rice or pasta or split peas etc - tie a knot to contain filling - place trays of liquid paint on the floor - allow children to dip the tight into the paint then to bounce it up and down onto paper(best done on the floor with largish space) - making prints on the paper - less paint is better than more on this occasion as makes prints clearer x

cover pieces of card with tin foil then add blobs of paint...use fingers to squidge and splosh around...very theraputic! then you can take prints from them too by placing paper on top if liked.....you could just allow 2 colours....or maybe 3 or let them go for it and eventually end up with 30 cards in'school grey'!!!!

• Like 2

Our whole school topic is rainbows and we all had to make a class display......I've attached a picture of the wax/melt art work we did in my reception class.

I must stress that the boy in the picture is my little boy, this was the practise canvas at home....I'll try to try to take a picture of the display and upload asap.

The class loved this activity, I was able to make lots of observations re the changes to the wax & the colour mixing. We just used PVA glue to stick crayons onto canvas and used a hair-dryer to melt. post-18910-0-15437800-1347404738_thumb.jpg

Have Fun

Nicky.

cover pieces of card with tin foil then add blobs of paint...use fingers to squidge and splosh around...very theraputic! then you can take prints from them too by placing paper on top if liked.....you could just allow 2 colours....or maybe 3 or let them go for it and eventually end up with 30 cards in'school grey'!!!!

Sounds lovely - am tempted to do it just for myself - it has been a very long day one way and another!

• Like 1

Our whole school topic is rainbows and we all had to make a class display......I've attached a picture of the wax/melt art work we did in my reception class.

I must stress that the boy in the picture is my little boy, this was the practise canvas at home....I'll try to try to take a picture of the display and upload asap.

The class loved this activity, I was able to make lots of observations re the changes to the wax & the colour mixing. We just used PVA glue to stick crayons onto canvas and used a hair-dryer to melt. post-18910-0-15437800-1347404738_thumb.jpg

Have Fun

Nicky.

Nicky, that looks so much fun - do you melt the whole crayon? It reminded me of something we used to do as kids - we'd sprinkle sharpenings of wax crayons on a piece of paper, put another piece on top the ironed it. There were some beautiful effects!

Edited by HelenD26
  • Like 1

Hi Helen........I used lots of different types & sizes of crayons and melted some more than other......left it up to the children really......didn't get the time to get a pick of my display but will try my best tom.......I got the canvas' from the works....really good vaule.

We did this today - the effect was brilliant. Would be perfect for doing something like a watery background. Will definitely be doing it again. We're also doing lots of printing with those shower puff things.

he he glad you had fun....tell me did you resist the lure or get stuck in???

I might have helped just a little! Actually I didn't do much - was too busy doing tyre track printing! Am seriously thinking about doing it for my own Christmas cards though!

Does it work better if the foil is flat or a bit scrunched?

flat is best because you can use your fingers and hands over it again and again (i had an old box of foil sheets which were really easy to use!) works well stuck to a table too and done collaboratively but go for thicker foil if poss or it can tear and get a bit sharp!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)