Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Class Blues

Wondering if anyone can help with a little advice... I have a new Reception class of thirty who started today including three children who seemed completely unable to sit and listen. One whined and babbled continually when prevented from doing the things he wanted to do, loudly disrupted all carpet times and had to be physically held in time out several times. The other two were similar in their disruptive behaviours and were defiant, laughing when asked by any adults to stop doing something. The rest of the class (2/3 boys) are pretty restless as it is and I completely lost them most of the times the others were playing up. Just not sure what exactly I should do when one or two children present these behaviours during carpet time? Stop teaching/talking and risk a show-down with one child in front of the others? Or ignore it and risk them thinking their behaviour will have no consequence? Feeling very de-skilled and missing my old class!!

No real advice having never worked in a reception class. Do you have a TA who could take these lads away from the rest of the class, maybe give them something boring to do while you get the rest of the class loudly engaged in something fun?

I suppose its early days yet though isnt it? They'll maybe settle down when they see its better to be with everyone else. Keep smiling, that was always my motto :D

Aww thanks for that. I try to remember that it always feels this way at the start of the year but I'm sure these are worse! Unfortunately it seems a case of needing 1:1 supervision for each of them and once my fab TA is with one that leaves us short again... I guess I just ignore negative behaviour while addressing the whole class but don't want my TA to feel lumbered with dealing with challenging behaviour solo...

Aww thanks for that. I try to remember that it always feels this way at the start of the year but I'm sure these are worse! Unfortunately it seems a case of needing 1:1 supervision for each of them and once my fab TA is with one that leaves us short again... I guess I just ignore negative behaviour while addressing the whole class but don't want my TA to feel lumbered with dealing with challenging behaviour solo...

I know that feeling. Could you plan a specific 'job' they need to help with - I sometimes make it a big responsible job to help our TA tidy away all our outside blocks. How would your TA feel about doing something like reading a story to the whole class while you do a something with the boys?

mine started today too and it is a shock to the system after getting used to the previous class isn't it! I only have 15 in each morning or afternoon session for the next couple of weeks which really does help with being able to work on expectations etc and something maybe to think about for next year but for now keep your carpet sessions very short (max 5 mins) dish out stickers left right and centre for expected behaviour, they will get it and it is very early days. Use your TA to sit amongst the children modelling and supporting the children. With such an imbalance of boys and girls you may have to change how you do things as boys often need such a different approach to engage them eg could you make what you were doing on the carpet more active or a game-parachute? could you take it outside? sorry if i'm teaching you to suck eggs here!!!

keep smiling, they will get there!

deb

Not at all- all advice is greatly recieved! Sadly our school has just ditched the staggered morning/afternoon introductory period- I found it ludicrous but out of my hands.

I'll definitely have a go at seeing if the children in question will respond to a bit of a 'responsibility', I think at the moment they're just trying to work things in their own terms. Just hate feeling reluctant to go and do the job I normally love! Such a bummer!

As already said It is very early days and all new to them, especially if they haven't made their transition via a same site early years setting, has the particular child previously attended a pre-school or nursery ? Did you get a transition report ? Maybe they had strategies in place that could help you manage the unwanted behaviour.....hope it settles soon, think we all know how it feels to go back to the start each year and it makes you realise how far you've brought the ones that have just moved on......though the person who has them next will never think that :)

• Like 3

As already said It is very early days and all new to them, especially if they haven't made their transition via a same site early years setting, has the particular child previously attended a pre-school or nursery ? Did you get a transition report ? Maybe they had strategies in place that could help you manage the unwanted behaviour.....hope it settles soon, think we all know how it feels to go back to the start each year and it makes you realise how far you've brought the ones that have just moved on......though the person who has them next will never think that :)

Mouse had said exactly what I was going to say :1b

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)