Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Handover/reporting Back To Parents At End Of Session

Hi, Just looking for some ideas of how to report back to parents and give them some feedback at the end of the day, or how you 'handover' in your settings.

we are a busy preschool, and finish at 3.15, all parents arrive at the same time, and most are in a rush to pick up siblings so it is not always possible to speak to them all individually. Also i find 'diaries' very time consuming so just looking for any alternitave ideas you may have!?

Thanks in advance

We have diaires that we fill in at the end of each child's week with us. We find it is not so time consuming that way and our parents really like them and often write about the things their child has done at home which is lovely.

This is what we use......

from the child, so it's a way that we can tell the parent something the child has done during the day... and encourages the child to talk about it!!

So it might say "ask me about..... building a huge tower with 8 blocks! from Harry

Parents love them - and the children do to.... we aim for a least one a week per child, but sometimes do a lot more..

We found that by allowing parents to stay in the classroom from 9 to half past gave us time to chat more, so the frantic end-of-the-day handover is more just 'essentials' (fell over and..) or a quick 'wow'.

We also found some stickers that say 'Ask me how I got this sticker'.

The end of the day can be the worst part of the day when you're under pressure to match the right (hardly known yet0 child to the right adult, but we try to do it with a big smile at least!!

i teach reception and one of the things which parents really like is our 'what we have done today' board. This is just an a3 laminated card which i write on at the end of each day with the children and put on the window for them to see when they pick up. I wouldn't be able to give individual feedback every day and this goes part of the way of keeping them in the loop.

deb

i teach reception and one of the things which parents really like is our 'what we have done today' board. This is just an a3 laminated card which i write on at the end of each day with the children and put on the window for them to see when they pick up. I wouldn't be able to give individual feedback every day and this goes part of the way of keeping them in the loop.

deb

I too have reception and also couldn't give individual feedback. I send mine home from the playground so parents aren't near a window but wonder about making a 'What we did yesterday' sign to put up as most bring their children in in the morning.

Nearly all 'my' parents are Facebook-ers, so I have a dedicated Facebook page where I just put in what we've been doing every day. No names, no pictures of children - some occasional pictures of displays etc. This is very popular and it doesn't have to be overly 'secure' - Nanas' and aunties etc regularly read it. We get great feedback!

So today it just says

"What a soggy day! We carried on with some activities we'd been doing last week, as we'd enjoyed making name collages and fold-over butterflies! These are starting to make some lovely displays. Blue group enjoyed the knock and nail today and made some interesting pictures. Children also discovered the elastic band geoboard and made some more lovely patterns. Front group explored moving like butterflies, and used the coloured scarves to make some lovely flapping movements."

So not loads of detail, but sufficient for parents to ask their children to elaborate on

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)