Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Keeping It Simple (Hopefully)

Ohh shuggs , wrong section!! Could this be moved to the nursery section please??? sorry

Right after looking at many planning ideas from this forum and seeing some very complicated ways of recording the information needed, even though they are very good, i have decided to try and develop a simple way.

I might have missed some key ingredients by simplifying it but let me explain each step.

Ok the 1st form we always use everyday whilst the children are in freeplay / child led activities.. this is a simple form for quick notes that we can record. This will help us to see exactly what each child seems to enjoy the most, ie be most interested in. This is one of the reasons we have these free play sessions, and this will help is for individual planning.

The Planning Format2 form i put together using ideas i gained through this forum. It is ready for the new EYFS and i believe it will help us get more out of each planned/focused activity we plan for. It is 2 pages, (double sided if you have the printer to do duplex) and is very simple to understand and not complicated at all.

You will see the 1st part is to add all the information about the activity you want to include.. ie keywords, key questions, any resources required, or enhancements needed to bring into the setting in order to do the activity well.

Then we have the boxes to add what you expect the activity to acheive for each area of the new EYFS. Mainly the 3 prime, as i feel we should take something from the activity that consists of these 3 important areas. We can also add the statements from the DM to help us to "check off" on the childrens tracker sheets, that we store within the childrens development files, or Timelines as i like to call them!

Then on the back of the form is the boxes to write an observation for each of the children involved and also to evaluate how the activity went.. and anything that could have been improved for next time. There is also an area to include any next steps for all the children.. this all helps to fill in the children's development files.

The only thing i havn't included is the age in months of the children involved, so this could be added with the initials (names) and the areas of provision i noticed on a few other peoples planning sheets.. i don't understand why this is needed personally??

Anyways let me know what you think, and if i can improve mine in any way.

Child Led FORM.doc

Planning format2.docx

Edited by boltonnurseries

Thank you :D i like it too

I also feel the observation sheet always comes in handy if you can just watch a few of your key children each week and make a few notes. You will certainly find they like to the same things and with the same toys or activities. This can really really help towards planning for individual children who might be struggling to join in with particular activities or don't seem interested at all.

We have 1 child in particular who would rather not join in with many activities we do. We then noticed he loved our little toy bikes and played with them alot. So with the next activity he was involved with i used pictures of bikes, all different colours and types, and he then had no problems in joining in, and learning to count, his colours etc.. you could use this with anything.

It is also good to have a record of childrens interests and you discovered them i feel :P

Edited by boltonnurseries

Thanks for sharing, I downloaded just to have a look. I am obsessed with looking at how other people plan and asses. I think that after a sunless summer holiday I have tweaked and evaluated and updated nearly every piece of paperwork that I can EXCEPT the SEF which is still to be updated!! :o

• Like 3

Oh well we can keep skirting around it for another month as the online SEFs are unavailable for a month from today while Ofsted update their inspection judgements. At least that's what I understood from the letter I had from Mrs O. :huh:

Beehive

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)