Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Employing New Staff

What do you look for in CV's when considering who to interview. I have lots of applicants that have all different levels of qualifications from NVQ 2 to BA hons. But they all have draw backs such as

Qualification but no actual working experience.

Childcare Qualification but poor GCSE's in English, Maths.

Excellent CV but live 45 mins -1hr away(post is only for 16hrs) I fear we are just a stop gap until better comes along.

Obviously once you get to interviews you can make better judgement's, buy how do you decide who to interview. Previous vacancies we have always had 1or 2 CV's that stands out from the rest and interviewed those first, this time is proving far trickier.

Help!!!!(lol)

Edited by Jeany

As the above but I think when teaching children basic Eng and Maths important. I have spent for too many years listening to staff speaking incorrectly, seeing them spell terribly and get basic Maths wrong-these staff are supposed to be role models

As above and I also look at my team - eg if I have a young team then maybe someone older to balance, or someone offering a skill we're short of. Good luck!

I never accepted CVs - always asked applicants to complete my application form. That way I could more easily make comparisons and ensure that each person I interviewed met the essential criteria for the job description (and obviously ensured that the application form actually asked for all that information!).

Having the information provided in a standard format also ensured that each applicant was forced to answer the same questions - the problems with CVs is that it is easier for applicants to tell you what they want you to know rather than what you actually need to know in order to make the best recruiting decisions.

As others have said, having a clear job description and a list of the essential person specification is really important. If you're looking for a Level 3 qualified practitioner it can be easy to get swayed by another candidate who has a degree, however the job might not require that level of qualification which may (or may not) cause difficulties later.

Good luck - it is exciting hiring new team members, but it can also be a little scary! :huh:

As the above but I think when teaching children basic Eng and Maths important. I have spent for too many years listening to staff speaking incorrectly, seeing them spell terribly and get basic Maths wrong-these staff are supposed to be role models

And I've noticed a couple of typing errors in my own post!!! Not such a good role model on here then!! Ha ha :-)

I understand what you mean about poor english and maths but please dont be too hard on those who havent got the passes. I know someone who is an excellent practitioner but who finds reading and writing a struggle at times and I didnt get an O Level in maths because I didnt do one!

Good luck in your search :1b :1b

• Like 1

Standard application form here too -a level playing field for all- and essential and desirable criteria lists to cross off as the applications return - am firm that if they don't have ALL the essentials then they don't get to interview stage, as the essentials are qualification level - knowledge/training in safeguarding/ working knowledge of EYFS, confident in engaging with parents and other professionals and assessing/planning/delivering curriculum. To my mind those are the basics I would be looking for in a member of staff.

Don't forget you mustn't ask for medical forms/details till you have your chosen applicant and you have to ring and get verbal references prior to interviews for all interviewees.

Good Luck .

We recently advertised. The range of qualifications was mind boggling! I felt bad discarding some because the qualifications were gained some time ago - we have recently been told that anything before a certain date is no longer valid! This leaves us needing to arrange up to date training often at our own expense as funding is not available....

we have recently been told that anything before a certain date is no longer valid!

Thats a shame Mollieben, we took someone on a couple of years ago who hadnt worked in 5 years and had the old NNEB. I wouldnt change her for the world. We just found courses that she could use to update her skills and knowledge, especially with the EYFS being new to her, she's fab. :1b

I agree Rea - so long as the qualification is 'full and relevant' as far as whichever body is in charge of these things since the CWDC disappeared, I think that would be fine. Mollieben, what was the cut off point according to your adviser? :o

Mollieben, what was the cut off point according to your adviser? :o

Just what I'd like to ask Maz, I got my qualification in 1998 and havent had a job for 3 years, at what stage would I be considered invalid? Not that I'm raring to go back. :ph34r:

No-one would ever consider you invalid, Rea! I've been out of the workforce for a whole year now, and I miss the children and their families so much. I did my DPP in 2000 (I think) but how long before my degree/EYPS would be considered too old? :o

We recently advertised. The range of qualifications was mind boggling! I felt bad discarding some because the qualifications were gained some time ago - we have recently been told that anything before a certain date is no longer valid! This leaves us needing to arrange up to date training often at our own expense as funding is not available....

Oh I want to know the date too........hmmmm.........bet I'm 'invalid' :ph34r: :blink: :oxD

No-one would ever consider you invalid, Rea! I've been out of the workforce for a whole year now, and I miss the children and their families so much. I did my DPP in 2000 (I think) but how long before my degree/EYPS would be considered too old? :o

Nice of you to say so Maz, but really, I'd wait till you meet me in the flesh :rolleyes:

I've got the best of both worlds with playgroup, I can go and play or just stand and watch whenever I want, I dont though, because I dont want anyone thinking 'here she is again, why doesnt she get a job?' Its lovely to sit at the sand tray or paint a picture or read or just watch how the children play and not have any other responsibility. Is there anywhere you could volunteer at just to keep that lovely bit?

I qualified in 1994, my director in 1992, my senior supervisor in 1993. My director and myself have updated to the NVQ 3 and 4 since but the supervisor (NNEB) hasn't - she has 4 children so not much spare time! Don't get me wrong Rea - I value her skills much, much more than even my EYP and we will fight her corner to the end but we have been told that she is classed as unqualified on our training matrix!

There is a qualification finder of the dept of education website that tells you which qualifications are valid for settings delivering the EYFS and NNEB is classed as valid. It states all qualifications that are and those that are not relavent, its quite a useful site.

My understanding is that as long as a person has updated on changes like EYFS and legislation and can prove they have done CPD to keep in line, the original qualification if on the list is still valid ? I would employ somebody who has done NNEB 20+ years ago as long as they have kept up to date and as others on here have stated the NNEB is still a full and relevant qualification with updates proven !

• Like 2

Isn't 1989 the magic number?

I think that was due to the new Children Act coming into force. Even then I believe it's just updated knowledge in certain areas.

Makes me cross when people were told they needed to 'upgraded' to NVQs - it seemed to happen quite a lot a few years ago.

xx

• Like 1