Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Petrol Allowance.......

I have business insurance - but there are categories of business insurance so you need to make it clear to your insurer what you are using your car for e.g., just commuting between places of employment rather than a single place or carrying goods/passengers for business purposes.

What is the world coming too.. that's all i can say.. money making schemes everywhere. Yes we pay a fortune for nursery insurances every month, and yes i understand the risks and we need to be covered but....COME ON!!

Whenever we go on a training course we are just paid for an extra hour to cover our petrol costs, but thinking about this its not a fair system as we are all on different pay levels. Will have to rethink this, thanks for making me think about this.!!

On occasions we ask parents and staff to drive children if we are doing really local trips. We always get insurance details filled out and written parental permission etc but have often wondered if staff should have buisness insurance? I do think this would put a stop to trips though as I am sure it costs more and no staff members would be prepared to pay the extra(and why should they) All people who drive the childrten have to have comprehensive insurance if that makes any difference.

I have business insurance and it didn't make any difference to my premium, but I did have to pay 'paperwork costs' about £35 as I changed mid year.

I suppose this could depend of the type of cover I had originally though. At the time I needed it for a one off specific purpose, but now I've just left it on.

I have business insurance and it hasn't cost anything for the last few years.

Current company doesn't differentiate though previous ones have had class 1 and class 2 - class 1was free (to and from other venues I think) and class 2 was a small premium (carry goods relating to the business from memory)

Edit to say some companies allow changes to be made free of charge if you do them yourself on-line - bother the call centre and they charge you £30!

Makes me think how much we do for parents f.o.c in terms of passport applications, tax credit letters, funding forms (like the uni ones) mmm...

Edited by gingerbreadman

Thank you for your replies, but I am wanting to know if someone MUST have business insurance before they are paid petrol allowances, I am unsure how to find this out, who to ask :(

I am paid 45p per mile but I don't have business insurance, i claim for all work related trips in my car so courses, shopping, scrap store etc but not travel to and from work itself. I never used to claim petrol but when I got a new accountant it became part of my accounting procedures.