Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How To Track And Show Progress In Reception?

Hi All

I know many of us are on holiday and susposedly switching off from school/pre school but lets face it, that never happens!

I have been mulling over in my head, how am I going to show and track progress from the start of reception year to the end?

Currently my head asks for profile points each term so it is easy to show progress and also easy to track it in this way (for the purpose of giving it to the heads!).

However, I have no idea how I am going to fulfil my head;s requirements termly, when I will be baselining them on Dev months and then not giving them a 'score' until the end of the year based on a best fit judgement, deciding whether they are emerging, expected or exceeding.

I almost feel like I need to keep a running record of whether they are 'emerging' expected, 'developing' expected or 'secure' expected. However, that would be ludicrous and an enormous waste of time and energy.

Have you lovely people, who are in a similar situation is schools, given this any thought?

We track ours on dev matters - emerging, developing, secure on 30-50/40-60, or some exceeding by the end of the year. We do baseline then end of each term. In our authority we feed into our tracker programme and it produces graphs to show progress of all kinds of groups - summer bdays, FSM, boys, girls etc.

But even the paper copy shows progress.

Having said that, graphs highlights in green all children achieving 40-60 in reception, i.e expected attainment and this concerns me as some can come in emerging, and progress to developing, then secure - and are on the same band on entry and when they leave.....???

Heads will just have to get used to children in reception being tracked through the EYFS like any other child in EYFS!

Try using emerging, developing, securing to make a differentiation in your bands, then even if they stay in the same band they will have moved on paper. This is what our schools do for nursery and will carry on doing now into reception. This will be different then to the statutory summative judgement at the end of the key stage.

cx

Catma, I think that this is the way that I am going to have to do it. Do you use any quick reference 'guidance' as to what a 40-60 emerging, developing and secure is or do you just go on collative gut feeling?

I agree Rufus, it is going to be difficult in schools for Heads who are used to having profile points each term. I think we will do as Catma suggests and use emerging, developing and secure within the bands. Does anyone have a grid to use in Reception Classes for recording progress like this? We used to have a grid with all the Profile points on one sheet (one per child) which we enlarged to A3 and highlighted at the end of each term to show progress.

Catma, I think that this is the way that I am going to have to do it. Do you use any quick reference 'guidance' as to what a 40-60 emerging, developing and secure is or do you just go on collative gut feeling?

Just a professional judgement. sometimes settings use just emerging and securing, but it's personal choice I guess.

Some use a ladder tracker style to track and some use an excel spreadsheet style tracker.

Cx

Cx

• 2 weeks later...

Rufus-this looks fab-thanks. Will you be going straight inh at 40-60 months as I've been told to start with 30-50?

No I will be starting on 30-50 but decided to type the 40-60 first, so uploaded the one I had finished

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

HAve just found this thread as I am searching for what everyone else does baseline so I can put together a statement to support non-testing!!!!! And not in July on their day visits!!!!

I have 2 things to add - sorry if any of this has been said before but here goes -

1. subsidary guidance asks for on entry relating to ages and stages. We had always previously used profile points. This year - no profile = use ages and stages
  2. the new eprofile allows you to enter - entry, developing, secure - so you can track within a band.

There you go. That's all - off to party!!!!

Happy Chritmas Everyone :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Our school is in a catchment where you would expect children to enter with average attainment; however, when we completed our on-entry assessments of children entering reception in the first half term we placed the majority of children working withing 30-50 months in reading and writing rather than the expected 40-60 months band. Have other people found this to be the case with the new development matters?

HI. I certainly found something similar. I think some of the differences between the old and new statements make it more difficult for children to achieve as highly as they might have previously done.

Yes i found this, however I think it is much easier for a child to achieve 40-60 in writing than in reading, I don't think the expectations are similar. All children have to be able to do in writing to achieve 40-60 is to 'sometimes acsribe meaning to their marks' and 'to ascribe meaning to marks they see'. IF they can do that then they are 30-50s are entering 40-60, whereas they need to do loads more to even be 30-50D. Most of my class were 30-50E for reading on entry.

Thanks! What worries me is that if children have achieved 30-50 statements but none in 40-60 month to make 'expected' progress they will have to make huge progress to achieve early learning goal, or to make 'good' progress, exceed the ELG. Recent OFSTED experience tells me that 'expected' progress is only satisfactory.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)