Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How To Show Progression For Individual Children And Cohorts...

Hi all

I have had a visit from my childcentre manager who has recommended that I do more interim progression paperwork for cohorts and there by individual children. :huh:

When I took over as manager there was nothing in place and no proforma or example to be seen it just wasn't done at all. :(

We take children from the term of their third birthday till they go to school, what we did on the old system was baseline assessments as starting points which we then built on through LJ's and next steps. At the end of the year when children go to school I do a transfer cohort form which basically provides an overview of children's assessments in all aspects of all six areas. 22-36 months would be 4, 30-50 months would be 5 and 40-60months would be 6. To be honest although it showed at a glance where children where and if there where any areas that needed extra support I didn't feel that it really 'told' you that much about the children and it always felt like a paper exercise and I am not totally certain the school don't feel the same although they are always grateful for what we pass on.

The progression of the children staying with us is shown through the LJ's.

However I have now been told that I need to do the equivalent of the transfer sheet at the end of every term for all children, this will apparently show we are doing a 'good' job and that children are making 'good' progress. We know from all our parents, our assessments and observations and just being with the children and interacting that they are making progress but it needs proving more frequently.

I just wondered what everyone else does to make this a meaningful process rather than just a paper exercise? is this not just another paper exercise that takes us away from the children? or am I just being lazy!!! :ph34r::P

Done termly - couldn't do it any less as it would be tragic if we got to the end of the year and realised a child (or group) were 'behind' - though agree that it is time consuming!

Hi all

I have had a visit from my childcentre manager who has recommended that I do more interim progression paperwork for cohorts and there by individual children. :huh:

When I took over as manager there was nothing in place and no proforma or example to be seen it just wasn't done at all. :(

We take children from the term of their third birthday till they go to school, what we did on the old system was baseline assessments as starting points which we then built on through LJ's and next steps. At the end of the year when children go to school I do a transfer cohort form which basically provides an overview of children's assessments in all aspects of all six areas. 22-36 months would be 4, 30-50 months would be 5 and 40-60months would be 6. To be honest although it showed at a glance where children where and if there where any areas that needed extra support I didn't feel that it really 'told' you that much about the children and it always felt like a paper exercise and I am not totally certain the school don't feel the same although they are always grateful for what we pass on.

The progression of the children staying with us is shown through the LJ's.

However I have now been told that I need to do the equivalent of the transfer sheet at the end of every term for all children, this will apparently show we are doing a 'good' job and that children are making 'good' progress. We know from all our parents, our assessments and observations and just being with the children and interacting that they are making progress but it needs proving more frequently.

I just wondered what everyone else does to make this a meaningful process rather than just a paper exercise? is this not just another paper exercise that takes us away from the children? or am I just being lazy!!! :ph34r::P

Have you considered adapting the transition form you do anyway - we will be doing this, every 12 weeks we will be asking staff to complete the transition grid, this information will then be "plotted" into showing progression for the whole group on another graph.

In the children's LJ's we will have a booklet with the DM statements in (which we can highlight and we will number our observations and link them to the DM statements so that we aren't constantly writing those out beside our observations). On the other side of the page there is a grid where KP's will be able to mark by colour coding or writing in the age band as a summative assessment every 12 weeks, this will make it easy to transfer age/stage to the transition sheet.

In Kent we also have a document called My Unique Story which goes out with LJ's every 12 weeks, which basically gives KP's the opportunity to write up a child's progress, highlight their "wows" it asks for parental input, child's input, and paves the way for the opportunities we will be offering during the next 12 weeks for each particular child.

thank you for replies everyone and thank you Cait for posting! we do do a summary every term so that we can track individual children and make sure that they are not behind and are meeting their next steps the bit we didn't do was put this on a form as a whole cohort until end of the year!

I haven't used PRAMS yet keep looking at it but looks so complex to be honest and I wouldn't be able to get all the staff access to it so not sure how it would work.

Have thought about adapting the transfer one I already do it just but think that graph maybe better rather than table.

thanks again everyone.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)