Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parental Input Into Assessment

Hi!

Having attended a couple of courses on the new EYFS, I have the understanding that there will be even more emphasise on involving the parents in the assessment progress. Has anyone got any new ideas of how they are going to go about doing this? We currently get parents to fill in an 'all about me' questionnaire at the beginning of the year, fill in 'wows' of significant things the children have done at home, add photos and comments in the learning journal and come in for 2 parents afternoons but I feel we may need to actually ask more specific questions about their child's learning? I was thinking of doing this as a face to face chat as I feel parents often feel daunted by a piece of paper with lots of questions but again I'm not sure how I would actually go about this?

Any ideas? Have other people got this message from courses?

Thanks

Green Hippo x

There was a thread on here last week about progress summaries with a really nice summary sheet for the end of each term, perhaps that would help?

I did save it, but not on here but you should be able to find it. There were two in the thread but I personally liked the second one better x

Cait, can you tell me how I could alter the PDF file please?

I would like to alter where it says Autumn term for instance but not sure if I am being a bit stupid but cant seem to do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its probably something really simple. . . . . . . . . .

Cait, it's a thing of beauty - thank you.

Green hippo. About your question - it's not something I've thought about too deeply yet. Like you I have parents evenings and I do a questionnaire. You are further on than me with regard to parents contributions to learning journeys. I only started doing them last year and I had a couple of parents who embraced giving me things their child had done at home. I want to work more on this this year and on 'Wow' moments too. Something I started doing was getting parents to fill in a 'report' for me - I did it half way through the year but next year I think I'll do it at the first half or full term. I just asked for any comments about what their children had been saying/doing at home, any particular achievements etc. I had 3 people fill it in!

Thinking about specific questions - could you target particular early learning goals or maybe those that can be hard to find evidence for? I used to ask about some of the PSED aspects specifically.

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies. I like your sheet Cait - really nicely set out.

It's was not so much the actual reporting which we do anyway but how to get extra information from the parents without working through the EYFS with each of them asking about each aspect. Possibly some simple starter questions to begin a discussion about what they see their child doing at home? Like you, HelenD26, I only have a handful of parents who will add comments and photos to the learning journal even though we generally have very supportive parents. The 'wow' moments are more successful but they are often very repetative - parents often use them as a reward!

Hmmm. I will keep thinking...

Green Hippo x

• Like 1

Have you seen my starter sheets. In the resource library, probably in the full learning journey booklet, of you can't find them shout. It's a while since I loaded them on and at this hour of the morning I can't remember what I called them, could be unique child or something. It's a set of questions for parents to complete to give me a bit of background info when a child first starts. After that we have notebooks and termly meetings.

We send home a PSED home journal every week and ask parents to comment on a statement from Development Matters from their knowledge of their child's experiences at home. We find these contributions very valuable and it helps to fulfil parent's contributions to their learning journey. Parents also complete reading records every time their child reads at home and a practical weekly maths challenge with their child which they comment on too. We add these contributions to their assessment records.

Lovely Cait - thanks for that - it's nice and clear and I like the different colours too - although I don't know if my admin officer will when I get her to modify and print them out - can just hear her now muttering about the cost :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)