Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Progress Summaries

hi all!

our head teacher has agreed we can do progress summaries next year for nursery. i wondered should we just do 3 prime areas in october, then 7 areas for middle and end of year ones? and how do you determine what you write? do you use statements from development band they are functioning within? or just general overview of areas? want to start off properly!!

also, do reception do them in your school too?

I don't think you can know what you will see with each child so whilst I see where you are coming from re the three prime areas in October what will you do about the child who is knowledgeable about the world for instance? Would you ignore this information until later?

I observe the children and gather and use whatever information I can.

Not sure what everyone else does but I am sure someone will let you know soon!

cheers scarlettangel. i see what you mean. i was just trying to make it easier for staff as it'll be the first time they do this. and this sort of information could be put in communication and language or pse?

Hi Sooty,

What kinds of observation records do you maintain at the moment? Are they handwritten, or typed up? If the latter, then you could cut and paste some observations and link them to age-bands, possibly?

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say I strongly objected to splitting the seven areas of learning into prime and specific, purely for this reason. I think all seven should always appear in observations and records because I don't want to see them sidelined (particularly creative development!) :1b

• Like 2

observations are unfortunately hand written, as working documents and we don't make extra work for ourselves! new framework says focus on 3 prime area for youngest children, then the balance should gradually shift towards a more equal focus on all areas of learning, as children grow in confidence and ability within the 3 prime areas. so i wondered if i should mainly focus on 3 prime areas in sept, as our children generally come in a year behind? statuatory framework doesn't specify age/stage, so guesswork, as usual....... and commenting on just 3 in on entry summary would make it easier for staff, as it's all new to them and one may struggle.... it would be all areas in feb and july, but i see what you are saying helen. all 7 will feature in observations etc.

Our setting has always done progress reports three times a year.

We will be using the 3 prime areas from Sept for our 2 year olds and all 7 areas for 3+

They are generaly really easy to complete, you will find that once you have completed a couple than it will be easy.

After all you know your key children and what they are capable of, and most parents do not expect reams of writing.

I have attached template

Our setting has always done progress reports three times a year.

We will be using the 3 prime areas from Sept for our 2 year olds and all 7 areas for 3+

They are generaly really easy to complete, you will find that once you have completed a couple than it will be easy.

After all you know your key children and what they are capable of, and most parents do not expect reams of writing.

I have attached template

thanks! but where is template?

thanks. well it is nearly summer break!!!!!!!!!! that looks great. just the sort of thing i need. you are a star x

Edited by sooty99

Personally I wouldn't see any problems with having a initial focus on the prime areas as these are the areas you are most likely to notice first, (eg first conversations are likely to be about how well they have settled) and I think they can often get forgotten. Ive lost count of how many learning diaries I've seen that have virtually no communication or PSE obs in them, and instead favour literacy and maths..oh and knowing colours! The prime areas area also the areas in which you are most likely to first notice a child with an additional need. If we overlook them, which can and does happen, we might miss that and children go on unsupported in those very essential skills.

I dont think it means you are going to forget about observing the other areas, not at all, but it might focus thinking to remember the prime areas which will appear in some way in every observation. Its also quite helpful if you have practitioners who are anxious or inexperienced in observing to have them focus on these first, to build their confidence, and then your early summaries will reflect those early observations.

• Like 2

I think you're right mundia, I often look through lj's and the psed & cl are the areas with not much recorded, I think staff find it much easier to record in other areas as you get tangible evidence/ photos etc.....am hoping making the 3 prime areas more of a focus, especially for first term will remind staff how important these areas are.

I would also add on to the progress reports the stage of development so progress can be measured over the year and the voice of the child. We would aslso have our WBI levels too

Not sure I would add the stage of development as parents can get quite ...lets say "upset" if their child is not at the same stage as their peers.

It doesn't seem to matter how many times you explain to them that each child is different and develops at their own pace, they straight away think that their child has a problem.

We do keep a stage of development sheet for each child in order to measure progress over the terms.

We also attach a question and answer sheet to the progress report, asking for the parents views etc, this also has the views of the child incorporated in it.

Personally I wouldn't see any problems with having a initial focus on the prime areas as these are the areas you are most likely to notice first, (eg first conversations are likely to be about how well they have settled) and I think they can often get forgotten. Ive lost count of how many learning diaries I've seen that have virtually no communication or PSE obs in them, and instead favour literacy and maths..oh and knowing colours! The prime areas area also the areas in which you are most likely to first notice a child with an additional need. If we overlook them, which can and does happen, we might miss that and children go on unsupported in those very essential skills.

I dont think it means you are going to forget about observing the other areas, not at all, but it might focus thinking to remember the prime areas which will appear in some way in every observation. Its also quite helpful if you have practitioners who are anxious or inexperienced in observing to have them focus on these first, to build their confidence, and then your early summaries will reflect those early observations.

thanks mundia. i will start with 3 prime on the on entry profile, then all 7 for rest of year. we will of course observe all 7 from the start. i won't put what band they are working within on as we have children on 16-26 for pse, cll and especially psrn so it would be horrible for parents to see how behind they are. but i may put on at end of year, when they are generally where they should be unless sen. easier for staff too, to build up confidence. i know what you mean about colours! one of my seye's is obsessed with if they know them or not!! and pse is often forgotten. it could help us all remember the most important areas!!!!!!!!! and first parents evening is all about settling in. i will think how i can incorporate the child's views too.

thanks everyone! this forum is so fab

Edited by sooty99

I disagree parents have a right to know what progress their child is making, we explain it clearly and have not had many problems.

I agree with Sue.

I would say the main point to these progress reports is to obviously see how children are progressing, and if there are areas for concern, they should surely be flagged up to the parents so any support (if necessary) can be arranged. The key message I am getting is that early intervention is vital and obviously you need parents permission to get that intervention.

I do see your point Sue but I guess we all go with what works for our settings and our parents.

(But at the same time have let my manager look at your points)

I do value everyones views on this forum, and find them extremely helpful.

Have a great summer everyone, fingers x'd for some sun!!

defo skyhigh need some much needed time in garden with book, well a book that dosnt have early years in the title !

defo skyhigh need some much needed time in garden with book, well a book that dosnt have early years in the title !

are there any? Crikey - I'd better have a look out for some! haha

• Like 1

I do see your point Sue but I guess we all go with what works for our settings and our parents.

(But at the same time have let my manager look at your points)

I do value everyones views on this forum, and find them extremely helpful.

Have a great summer everyone, fingers x'd for some sun!!

i agree skyhigh. we are all different and know our parents/children best

Just a thought but why have they bothered to put DM statements in the younger ages and stages in the specific areas if we're not meant to be using them until they're older? Just saying... :ph34r:

With regards to what we share with parents. We also used to just write out a summative statement for each area along with next steps for the parents as we too were worried about parents being funny about where we had 'put them'. We are school managed and the FS manager said that school had started to be more open with parents about their children's stage of development and we had to be too. We were nervous but actually not one parent has quibbled! We have put it across as this is what WE have observed and there may be things the child does at home that we don't see at school (for example some children might never visit the book area but read loads at home). Where there is a developmental delay, parents are usually aware and happy for help.

But as has been said, you have to do what works for you and your parents.

• Like 1

it's hard, but we would always make parents aware of delays, but on entry they are very poor, so we give a little while to settle in and catch up, then chat to parents to say we are monitoring or referring. and work together.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)