Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Revised Eyfs Training

zigzag

Went on a training for the new EYFS this week, only to be told as soon as we got there that it was a briefing and training will not be avaliable until September!!! I cannot believe that we have to implement this in September without proper training. I asked about planning and observation formats and was told get booked onto the training for September. There were a lot of very unhappy people who left the venue that night. (50 to be exact) I did tell the lady who was sitting with me about this fab forum and I am sure she is now a member. I am so grateful for this forum which has given so much good advice and ideas that I feel confident to go ahead and just get on with doing our own formats. I do feel really sorry for the settings who do wait for things to be given to them and who perhaps are not quite so good at finding information and resources. Thanks to you all on this site who make it an invaluable place to visit. :D ::1a

• Like 4

ours was ' a briefing' as well........and we were told NOT to aks any questions as there wasn't any time allowed for it!! We did get a proper copy of the new EYFS though,but the whole evening was shambolic to say the least

ours was the same, although we all had to print off our own copies of everything and take it with us, we were not allowed to ask questions either.

We have to use our LA transition records, these may be ready sometime during the summer - so that means i will have to get this paperwork sorted out over the holidays (along with the usual stuff we all have to do....)

I know its not the LA fault, but everyone at our meeting were 'peeved' -hopefully this will get taken back to the 'powers at be'.

At ours we gave everyone the full briefing powerpoint to use back in their setting, and copies of all documents on a CD rom, plus got excellent evaluations.

We specified it as a briefing on our CPD info, but everyone came along asking about the "training" and I was constantly saying, "it's a briefing, not a training"..

In defence of LAs, they only got the stuff when it was published and have to work very hard to write, quality assure and get signed off anything that goes out with the LA seal of approval on it. This does not happen quickly for many reasons, but mainly capacity of teams to do what they are doing in the field whilst finding time to write other materials. It took me 2 working days to write each of our 2 briefings, so that is nearly a week of working time to research, write, edit, plus another day to meet with relevant other staff to get opinions, shape messages, agree messages, plus finding time to deliver multiple briefings, so for me it has been the equivalent of 2+ weeks of working time just to get the stuff ready. then it has to go to senior levels to be signed off. This is not a huge priority item in the world of LAs, there are many more pressing things happening most of the time!

So please consider your LA team, who may have been really against it to get anything in place at equally short notice!

Cx

Edited by catma

Ours was a mandatory training for those settings in receipt of entitlement funding. As Catma points out, LA's have only had the materials as long as we have, and I would have to say that ours didn't tell us much more than we could/had already found out ourselves. We talked about where various development statements had moved to, and touched on the two year assessment. Not much else comes to mind, I'm afraid. It was a while ago now.

Thanks anyway, I have started my own :rolleyes: Has anyone any idea where the new Ofsted Framework for Early Years is on their website? I went to the NDNA conference last week and we had a talk from Ofsted highlighting the changes, she definately had a powerpoint that showed the publication..... can I find it? NO :mellow:

Ours was similar a briefing with a promise of more training in September. Also we don't really have much guidance from LA as they are very much saying we are all so autonomous and individual with our settings so at the moment no format or proforma's available. :(

This kind of works for me as I am happy 'doing my own thing' and I was able to ask a few questions after to clarify a few things. Although I would agree with ZigZag the info we share on here is so helpful and helps with the confidence to go it alone. I do feel for the settings that don't have that confidence though, September is far to late for training when it has to be implemented. :huh:

When this was raised at the meeting the LA representative said that settings would not be expected to have it all in place, but they would be expected to have an action plan on where, when and how it was all going to come together and that Ofsted would be happy with that! although I guess this is somewhat reassuring I think it still adds to the stress.

Thanks anyway, I have started my own :rolleyes: Has anyone any idea where the new Ofsted Framework for Early Years is on their website? I went to the NDNA conference last week and we had a talk from Ofsted highlighting the changes, she definately had a powerpoint that showed the publication..... can I find it? NO :mellow:

I think it's scheduled from September so probably won't be available til then?

ours was the same as Catmas - we called ita briefing to explain changes and said that specific training (due to budget issues) would be along in Sept - we also printed copies of new EYFS for all settings/chldminders/out of school clubs xxx

We were quite lucky in Stockport, The Local Authority held 2 days training with an external trainer , I enjoyed this as it refeshed my knowledge of the development of the very young children in our setting ( although my18m grandaughter is very good at this too!!). We also had workshops that focused on each prime area unfortunately you could only attend one but they were very good. My colleague in the reception class did not feel that she gained much from it as it was focused at the youngest children.

Our early years network ( Pre-schools and Day Nurseries) held a network meeting to discuss various issues relating to early years in our area, if you attended the network meeting you were given the lovely spiral bound copy of the EYFS for your setting. :D

I have also bought these for my staff as they look like they will be more sturdy and user friendly than trying to bind my own printed copies although I do understand that this is an expensive option as they are £10.00 a set from NDNA :(

We have another meeting tomorrow night hosted by the Local Authority where we are discussing SFF, Ofsted changes and the revised EYFS.

Julie

Edited by julie 12

There was a lot of talk about this at the NDNA conference about the different base rates and whether food etc can be charged for, it got quite heated at times with people saying that their base rate didn't cover costs etc.

Currently the average base rate across the country is £3.66 an hour, Local Authorities cannot influence what you charge for addtional hours above the 15, although this is no help to settings who only offer 15 hours :(

I found out about the 15hours funding today at ICT training today. It can now be taken over two days ten and five or 71/2 and 7 1/2

When does this come in? I had heard it was changing but this will mean we will loose our lunch fees we charge now, which will be

disastrous for the budget !

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)