Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Just Passed Foundation Degree!

Tigger

Hello, I recieved THE letter today confirming I had passed the Foundation Degree, to those of you still thinking about it I would have to recomend this course, that takes many forms depending upon where studying. It has been alot of work but I still managed to juggle work, family, holidays, a social life and a cleanish house! I spent one day in college, which was actually considered full time, with the minimum of 20 hours per week at work for two years. I will now be able to top up the FD with a new course, for one year, again 1 day at college, titled BA hons in Early Learning that has been written especially for us, at Suffolk College.

Whilst you all may not have been aware, this forum has helped and supported me over the last 2 years, I haven't contributed to lots of discussions but read them all with interest and have enjoyed hearing the differing views of you all.

Thanks everyone!

Sharon

Congratulations Sharon!

You must be feeling justifiably very very proud of yourself.

As someone about to embark on the Foundation Degree, its good to hear from someone's who has finished, and lived to tell the tale.

What are you doing to celebrate?

Maz

Guest alisonjayne

Congratulations Sharon Its great to hear that news, now you will have more time to take part in the forum as well asenjoying the summer

Ali

Congratulations from me too! :D

You must feel so proud and so you should! Helen is right - reading all these posts about this, makes me think that I really should complete the form that's been in my in-box for a few weeks now! xD

Enjoy a work free summer! :o

well done it is a wonderful feeling isnt it? I remember when I completed nvq 3 in 98 working full time and 3 boys as well as being a farmers wife it was a big acheivement for me, I was walking on cloud nine.

I too can not decide to apply for foundation degree I would love to do it but with 3 teenagers at home, still working full time but as the boss now I am frightened to committ.

Also there are no colleges around me(cheshire) that do it so it would have to be ou and i think i would prefer support from a college.

Another reason is when attending a surestart meeting a few weeks ago about the governments 10 year stratergy it was said that all people in charge of early years settings will have to have degree and so there will be more availabilty of training at colleges around the country.so should i hold back and wait or get on with the job?Im terrible at making my mind up but what was said at that meeting has worried me and as more and more childcare practioners are becoming fd trained it is the way we have to go.

Ahh thats better been worrying about that for weeks thank you Sharon :o

Sharon

I know what you mean, i have finally after much deliberating decided to go for the FD (start Sept) because of those exact reasons you mention. I am also very worried about the time it will take up as well as family and work commitments!!!! :D

But Sharon !!!!

You won't be alone, you've got all of us wonderful people behind you!!!

Not to mention members who've either done or doing it with you!!

That said, I've decided not to do it, for my own reasons, which are many and varied, but rest assured, we'll all be here to help, support and commiserate, if necessary!!

Sue :D

Very many congratulatons you must be thrilled and quite rightly so! :D

I am currently doing the Fd with the OU and can't wait to get that 'I've done it!' feeling but for now its a case of I am getting there and enjoying it along the way.

Dear Sharon,

Well done, you've managed to do all that AND keep your house clean - what is your secret - I can do all that but keeping my house clean - well there's another degree in itself. You should feel very proud of yourself - no doubt you have got the bug and will be enlisting for the BA - once you start studying it's quite difficult to stop - so all the best

Nikki

• 4 weeks later...

Sharon, I'm doing FDEY with the OU. Just approaching the end of 'Working with children in the early years' and 'Supporting childrens learning in the early years', . Can you tell me how you got on with 'developing personal and professional development' as I'm not sure wether to go with that course next !! Mo x

Hi Apollo, from reading previous posts about the Foundation Degree it seems unique, in that each college writes their own course content from the guidance given by DFES, therefore each course differs from college to college or university. The modules you asked about are not the same as we covered ,we had a portfolio to complete with evidence from all aspects of the course and our own professional development, this was longwinded and the criteria statements we had to provide evidence for weren't always relevent to the various settings students came from. As we were the first cohort this has now changed and is hopefuly more workable and useful in the workplace! Sorry I can't help any further, there are other members who are doing the FD though OU who may be more help.

Sharon

• 4 months later...

hi sharon,

well done, great to read you've passed, just started the foundation degree myself and joined this forum as a member.

great to read all the encouraging messages and support. x

Guest dawn.a.

Congratulations :(:( I am half way through mine and beginning to struggle, working full time manager of a pre-school rewriting policies for them, mum very ill in hospital last six weeks and still there and a family to look after and now husband tryimg to decorate front room i think i,m going mad ...... xD:o :wacko: :( but i will get there in the end

HI Kelly and Dawn,

Thanks for your messages. I'm sure you will both do well,It is a struggle with work and famillies etc but worth it. I am now studying the final year to top up to a BA(hons) in Early Learning. If I pass this too I will have two degrees to my name! Seems a bit unfair on those who went the conventional route, but I feel I have earned it!

I have also found out I passed my biggest hurdle last week my C grade GCSE!!!!! I had 3 D's but unfortunatly the Teacher Training Agency says that 3D's don't make a C! But it doesn't matter as I got it and to all those of you who have older children fed up with GCSE's it really is harder when you leave school and you do need GCSE Maths ( even if we don't think we do!)

I am now waiting to hear about my application to the Graduate Teacher Training Programme......

• 5 weeks later...
well done it is a wonderful feeling isnt it? I remember when I completed nvq 3 in 98 working full time and 3 boys as well as being a farmers wife it was a big acheivement for me, I was walking on cloud nine.

I too can not decide to apply for foundation degree I would love to do it but with 3 teenagers at home, still working full time but as the boss now I am frightened to committ.

Also there are no colleges around me(cheshire) that do it so it would have to be ou and i think i would prefer support from a college.

Another reason is when attending a surestart meeting a few weeks ago about the governments 10 year stratergy it was said that all people in charge of early years settings will have to have degree and so there will be more availabilty of training at colleges around the country.so should i hold back and wait or get on with the job?Im terrible at making my mind up but what was said at that meeting has worried me and as more and more childcare practioners are becoming fd trained it is the way we have to go.

Ahh thats better been worrying about that for weeks thank you Sharon  :o

35760[/snapback]

Ahh thats better been worrying about that for weeks thank you Sharon  :o

35760[/snapback]

• 3 months later...

Well done and congratulations!

I am just coming up to the end of my first year of the E.Y. Foundation degree. It's a great course and and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I can't believe how quickly the time has gone since last Sept.

Anyone thinking about it - well go for it! The time will whizz by. You'll manage it too. I was worried when I first started; having 3 children and working full time managing a school nursery class, but you'll be surprised at how you can fit things in!!

So get those application forms in!!

Congratulations!

I have until October for this year and then one more bit next year and I shall be fineshed. I have studied mine through the O.U. which can take more time but in a way allows you more freedom to choose units that are targetted to your interests.

I cannot imagine what it must feel like to have fineshed, it is hard work to do a full time job and study.

Relax for a bit, read things you actually want to read without feeling guilty!

Teri

What a pleasant surprise logging on to find people congratulating me on passing the FD. To update you I have just handed in the last piece of work for the year long top up course that will give me a BA hons in Early Learning!!! Have applied and awaiting to hear about teacher training places so watch this space......

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)