Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Refund Childcare Vouchers?

One of our parents pays our childcare fees using ONLY childcare vouchers (no other payment i.e. cash or cheques) their account is currently in credit and they have requested that we pay them back the amount that they are in credit? they will still have fees to pay until the end of august and will continue to pay using only childcare vouchers (the amount they are required to pay is covered by both of them using vouchers) I am unsure whether we are supposed to pay this money directly back to them or not, as obviously they have not paid tax on the amount and the vouchers are only supposed to be used as childcare fees. I am concerned as I had told them to reduce their payments as suspected they may have been deliberately overpaying in order to ‘claim the money back’ from us and avoid paying the tax on their wage. Does anyone know whether this is allowed? Any help would be great.

Thank you in advance.

I don't know the first thing about childcare vouchers, but I think you are probably right to be wary as this appears to be a roundabout way of redeeming vouchers for cash, I am guessing there is probably something in the terms and conditions about them only being used for the purpose of paying childcare fees. Hopefully someone who knows will be along soon x

• Like 1

Check the small print with the voucher scheme administrator - I know when I had this situation we were not allowed to refund the client any money - it is up to them to ensure that they don't overpay into the scheme or use any surplus up either with your setting or another registered provider!

We have referred the parent back to their HR dept or the voucher company as their 'point of contact'/agreement is with them. As we see it the parent 'paid' the voucher company, who then paid us; so no reason to have a refund given direct to the parent (iyswim!!)

NO, you don't refund the parent. We had one who left to go back to South Africa and who cam ein and demanded that we return the excess paid to us. When we phoned the voucher company, they told us under no circumstances should we return money to parents as they haven't paid tax on it and it would be illegal to give it back.

• 4 weeks later...