Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Early Mathematical Experiences

Guest terrydoo73

Guest terrydoo73

I am trying to work out if my preschoolers can understand the idea of size and quantity as well as sorting and grouping. What activities could I do with them? The obvious is when in the water tray and looking at the size of the bottles they are filling but I was thinking along the lines of a group activity that would involve everyone to talk about size and quantity perhaps even light and heavy the shape of things and looking at the colours or creating patterns?? Obviously it would be good to tie in with our theme of people who help us - my Deputy would question doing something way off the theme just for the sake of covering the mathematical aspect for the sake of it!

could you go along the lines of we are having bottles in the water to faclitate children's own interests.and we are sticking with it :ph34r: i am finding a lot more engaged since going of topic

will send you a link to different experiences later

sorry i have to dash

Could you perhaps get a big box and put into it a range of different toys - cars, farm animals, building blocks etc. Then tell the children that everything has got into a big muddle and you need their help to sort it out. Provide them with smaller boxes in a variety of sizes - some obviously too small to contain much. Don't tell them how you want them sorting, just let them get on with it. See which children are grouping the items into similar types of toys, some might sort out the cows from the sheep or the blue cars from the red. What happens when a box is getting filled up but there are obviously still more toys that need to go in? Will they realise they need to get a bigger box? As much as possible stand back and watch what they do, just giving them encouragement and praise for their efforts.

This could then be tied into your topic talking about who cleans and tidies.

I agree with Beau,,,get a big box, but put your deputy in it...........then you can have fun with the children!!

...sniggers..spits wine over keybaord!!! :D ::1a :D ::1a :D ::1a

Narnia always offers advice that should always be followed when possible.....

• Like 2

I agree with Beau,,,get a big box, but put your deputy in it...........then you can have fun with the children!!

Obviously I would never advocate putting a colleague in a box but if you feel there is a good learning opportunity........

Take a bag of socks in for them to sort, different patterns, sizes, colours.

Use different sized boxes and ask what will fit in to each one out of a range of toys.

Make some silhouette pictures and see if they can match them to the object.

Place big hoops on the floor and ask the children to put toys of matching colours into them, make it a team game. Use shapes to match the shape, look at 2D and 3D and look at triangles from different ways.

Go on a walk to look at shapes in the environment.

Do some activities that allow the language full, half full, empty.

Use weighing scales to compare quantity.

Putting the deputy in a box is ok so long as there are air holes I believe :rolleyes:

Obviously I would never advocate putting a colleague in a box but if you feel there is a good learning opportunity........

you could sort the size of the air holes too!

You could 'time' how long it takes her to get out of the box too! xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)