Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Qca Behaviour Scale - Anybody Know About This?

mps09

Does anyone know about the QCA behaviour scale?

I've just returned from parent's evening for my daughter who is in year 5 and I am shocked, dismayed and a little sad to hear that her behaviour is so awful (and has been for some time) that the teacher has put this in place and shared it with SENCo.

Daughter not perfect but she is generally a happy, contented and welll-behaved child and I am just so surprised that I didn't know anything about this until today.

Intend to speak to head-teacher tomorrow but just wondered if anyone has any words of wisdom!!

Many thanks,

Having just read your previous post about how ill you have been--I am really not surprised if your daughter has been displaying behaviour problems at school. She needs help and understanding to come to terms with her fears and maybe some support. I would be very upset if I found out about these sort of problems at an open evening. Why have you not been contacted before?

Thank you for your replies! It certainly looks like the document she flashed at me - however old it may be . . . . :huh:

It am even more shocked now though :( how does a child get to this point without one single conversation with parents (one of which works down the corridor.....), the last parent's evening was November and her only comment then was that she talks too much and isn't allowed to sit next to her best friend because they are too silly together (fair comments!)

Perhaps I'm just over reacting....

Having just read your previous post about how ill you have been--I am really not surprised if your daughter has been displaying behaviour problems at school. She needs help and understanding to come to terms with her fears and maybe some support. I would be very upset if I found out about these sort of problems at an open evening. Why have you not been contacted before?

our posts crossed!!

I did mention that daughter has been really upset at home, though not wanting to make an excuse, she's very nervous about coming home in case she finds me poorly (as she did last time and had to get neighbour who called ambulance!). Teacher said that she may be trying to control the rest of her world because she couldn't control what had happended at home, but she (teacher) can't allow her (daughter) to control the classroom.

I can't let this go now, just so upset to only just be told - and in such a way, even if they thought this best because I'd been ill!! I just don't know but it seems such a serious action that I've only just been involved in.

Having had a quick look at the document, I feel I may have benefited from support of that kind when I was her age. The recent shocks she has had, together with the other business of being a girl of her age - hormones and peer groups - will be messing with her head, and a consistent, measurable approach to behaviour may be what she needs to keep things straight. I completely fell apart at her age and didn't achieve as I should have for another twenty years. Timely, and sensitive intervention may have seen me follow a very different path in life.

I wish you all the very best of health, and further success,

Honey

I think it might have been more appropriate to invite you in for a meeting, discuss the possible background to the behaviour, work out ways they could support her and her family and agree a way forward working as a team. This could all have been detailed in a behaviour support plan and could include this behaviour scale if it could be helpful.

You seem to have got off on the wrong foot with this but you could go in with a better plan forward and they may well be willing to follow it. Sometimes it's just lack of time to think things through and they can be grateful for someone bringing a more structured approach.