Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

3 And 4 Yr Old Funding

Hi

We are currently being validated for 3/4yr old funding and we are looking at opening for a full day per week.

Do we have to have a space inbetweeen sessions with no children or can we have a session that is say 9am-3pm and children bring

a packed lunch?

Sorry if this has been asked before but it's all new to me!

we have just opened for full day from 9 til 3pm - children are asked to bring packed lunch if they are attending all day or just afternoon- you must have provision for them to have a sleep if needed and staff who work all day are entitled to 15 minutes break and must have that

Hi Lashes, whereabouts are you please? You've worried me now as we do a 6hr session and when we started this up I contacted ofsted and our early years advisor regarding the break in between and they said staff didn't HAVE to have a break - I only asked them as we sit with the children to have our lunch and would find it hard to cover lunchtime to enable a complete break :o

legally Staff need only have a break if working more than 6 hours.. and then they have to have it during the day , this can be unpaid and should be 20 mins (not 15 as above) rest breaks

so staff sitting and having lunch with children during a 6 hour day is fine.. that is what we did

and don't think since eyfs there has to be a break between sessions any more - was the reason we were able to drop the break and go full days..

Edited by Inge

legally Staff need only have a break if working more than 6 hours.. and then they have to have it during the day , this can be unpaid and should be 20 mins (not 15 as above) rest breaks

so staff sitting and having lunch with children during a 6 hour day is fine.. that is what we did

and don't think since eyfs there has to be a break between sessions any more - was the reason we were able to drop the break and go full days..

oh Inge see my post - and i managed to do a link but you beat me to it :o

I would recommend thinking carefully about how you will manage stuff and getting in put in writing from the outset - for example, we take 2 year olds and have them in all day, but they get very tired... A friend working in a different preschool only has the older children in for all days.

Thanks everyone!

We were only doing it for the summer term, as we are a new setting we will only have 3/4 children (1 funded and 2/3 not) that stay all day but it is so we don't have to pay for someone to cover for me on a friday while i am at uni!

I'm going to discuss with the parents tomorrow and see what they say.

We stagger staff half-hour lunch breaks too but staff mostly choose to eat their lunch away from the children because I feel that staff sitting with the children is not a break, it it work. If they choose to do so however, that's a different matter, that is their choice.