Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

St David's Day

I came across a lovely idea for St David's Day, but would like to make it more 'child friendly' -

make a Welsh traditional hat using a paper cup, add a rim and paint it black. I rarely 'offer' such adult led activities so am not too worried about this :o ; but does anyone have any good ideas to make it less adult led? xD

I intend to show pictures of traditional Welsh costume (to cover KUW - communities).

Any thoughts appreciated!

Can they draw round something and cut out the brim themselves?

Thanks for your suggestion Cait - I have 'tested' this, and found that the card needs to be fairly stiff - anything less curls up with the paint! :o

I wouldn't be making traditional hats as this seems a bit stereotypical after all how many welsh people actually wear hats like those, probably about as many as english people who wear top hats and talk in a plummy accent. Personal choice I guess but we will be making leek soup and painting still life daffodils and our chosen music for the day is welsh folk tunes

Edited by max321

Yes, but it does provide a certain 'knowledge and understanding of the world' - history (time) if not 'communities'. Besides which, the Welsh hat IS still worn by women and girls in Wales - particularly for festivals and on St David's day, just as the top hat is often worn at weddings.

If concerns about being stereotypical means not 'celebrating' or acknowledging national costume (of any country), then I am perfectly happy to accept the label.

I guess that as the western world becomes more multi-cultural the national 'identities' become less marked - which in my mind, is a shame.

Well I'm with Devonsmaid on this.

In fact I'd goes as far as to say that you could say the same thing about making Leek Soup surely that's stereotyping? Just because you're Welsh doesn't mean you eat or make Leek soup :o

Not suggesting the welsh eat leeks any more than the rest of us just acknowledging the symbolism and historical heritage of the leek in welsh folk lore, prehaps just as 'knowledge and understanding of the world' -time' as making hats

I think I’d avoid hats, but just because I think that getting the rims to fit and stay in shape is going to be quite difficult. Well it would be for me, as I’m not very dextrous. :o

I think I’d go for making welsh dragons as they can be individualised, and dragons are always something children get excited about.

Re leeks: leeks are a symbol of St David because St. David was said to have lived on them as well as and bread and water, so I think leek soup is very appropriate for St. David’s Day.

This site has a lot of interesting information

http://www.informationwales.co.uk/

and this has a simple story about the red and white dragons

http://myths.e2bn.org/mythsandlegends/user...welsh-flag.html

I agree with devonsmaid points too - just to say we are fortunate to have a Welsh family who will be bringing in a traditional stone for baking welsh cakes on - which is what we are having for snack - daffodils and welsh dragons - i think it is important to acknowledge the saint days as much as all the other festivals we celebrate- can't wait til the 17th of march ( 16th as 17th is the sat) - had great time last year at my old setting - not that it was accepted by all but children loved it - Shamrock songs and ryhmes- dancing and soda bread

Happy St.Davids Day to you all - we had a lovely day combined with World book day - daffodils galore, children made Welsh Cakes, parents came into read stories, children dressed up and we topped the day off with a bus trip to the library :D ::1a :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)