Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Best Play Value Toy You Have In Your Setting

Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd try and get your help.... I have some money to spend on about 6 key quality toys, construction sets, role play etc.

What things have you got in your setting that is invaluable and a rich quality resource that the children love??

Would love to hear them!

me too - they are expensive but will last for ever x

I agree it is a big initial outlay, however when you divide that figure by the number of children who will use them and the number of hours they will be used, I think they are probably the cheapest resource around! :o

I'm sure I have told this tale before now................my chest of CP blocks ( and I have a stack of hollow blocks too) is donkey's years old.................possibly 50, certainly 40. I inherited them from a local school, because the caretaker had decided they took up too much room and the children always left them, as he put it, in an untidy mess, so he decided to put them into the school's furnace!! My friend who was the school secretary phoned me up in a blind panic, asking if i wanted them for my children, and i had to go to collect them there and then. Of course the rest is history, lord knows how many bricks/blocks etc the caretaker had burned before i got there, but I'm glad my friend had the wit to phone me. Now, those same blocks went through our burst pipe last winter and although they got well and truly soaked, ( and the insurance assessor told us to dispose of them as he was sure they'd split), they came through with flying colours. But, due to the insurance payout, we now have a second chest of blocks. So, I would say: yes, of course they are expensive, but if you have yours for 40 years or more, think how many little ( and larger) hands will leave their mark on them over time... a sound investment.

I notice that you can buy the blocks in packs of four now, so it's a nice way to supplement what you have and I'm sure I'll be doing just that.

remember these blocks being mentioned not so long ago and i am still intrigued as to why we don't have them nor my previous setting, we do have a very large chest with some gault wooden blocks are these similar to the cp ones ??? do you use them on an everyday basis aS YOU ALL SEEM TO BE RAVING ABOUT THEM , I FEEL I'M MISSING OUT :o

We have 6 treasure baskets with interesting contents in and change them regularly. They are great because they are so open ended and all

our children from age 2-3 years play with them in different ways. The most popular one is lots of different sized containers with pasta to play filling up the pots. We bought a display trolley for them to go on, so children always know where to access them.

You can buy them ready made here https://www.heritagetreasurebaskets.co.uk/c...re+Baskets/2/1/

Edited by Guest

yes Lashes, the Galt ones are similar..............and many toy companies have very similar ranges at much less cost. Ours are available to the children whenever they wish to use them and yes that is on an almost daily basis. If you contact CP, they will send you a free block play dvd to show the value of this wonderful resource

Me again!

I'm just looking for other construction sets to buy. We have mobilo which is a massive hit but is there anything else out there that the children will love just as much?

On the shopping list so far....

community playthings blocks, hollow blocks, more mobilo, more dressing up.....

What do you think?

Sounds great, what about a lovely selection of wooden instruments.

I would just suggest wooden anything everytime, more expensive but much more sturdy and longer lasting.

Our children love the abacus style wooden shapes too on coated wire.

Enjoy spending your money. :o

Reference the cp blocks, are they heavy when altogether in their box??

We are a total 'packaway' group with everything being stored in a shed in the garden, we also have to go up and down a few steps so can't really cope with very heavy items.

By the way if you go onto the Community playthings website there is a video available to watch reference the benefits of block play

yes Lashes, the Galt ones are similar..............and many toy companies have very similar ranges at much less cost. Ours are available to the children whenever they wish to use them and yes that is on an almost daily basis. If you contact CP, they will send you a free block play dvd to show the value of this wonderful resource

Thanks narnia :o

Thumper, they do weigh quite a bit, but the box is on casters, so it's easy to move around indoors. Steps would definately be a problem, but you can take the box apart into three sections, each of which has great hand holds, so they would be easy to move. The top two trays could easily be carried by one person each, but the bigger bottom tray would need two for safe carrying.

We added to our CP blocks with wooden arches, wooden blank figures, bark trees and some ethnic blocks with mirrors on. Hoping to add the rainbow arches next year.

We have CP hollow blocks, and just last year became the proud owners of a pre-school set of unit blocks and the fixed shelf unit which makes them readily accessible. Many of you helped me put forward the case for these and I'm pleased to say they are a very popular addition to our provision which I feel had a gaping whole without them. We also have quality animal family figures alongside them, together with 'block people' we bought from TTS. These figures allow children to engage in nurturing activities combined with the blocks, ie mummy, daddy and baby tiger allow children to project their feelings safely using 'concrete' non threatening objects.

Delivery by CP in my experience has always been outstanding.

Enjoy unwrapping the box - I can smell the wood!

We guessed what was in the first box & 1 of my polish speakers guessed bob the builder - meaning building stuff. She was thrilled! We had a wonderful time :-)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)