Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Wheelchairs

sunnyday

Hi all

This is a bit of a strange question for an early years forum I know......

I need to buy a wheelchair for my elderly mum (she is 90), this would only be for 'transit' - basically to get her safely from her door to my car and from my car to wherever we are heading.......she has such limited mobility and 'clings on' to my arm for support, using a stick in her other hand........I have just taken her out for lunch and nearly 'lost' her, I'm becoming increasingly aware that we can't continue with this method - if she started to fall I would never be able to hold her up........

I have had a look online and have found a zillion different wheelchairs - just wondered if any of you have ever bought one and what advice you might give me.......

Do you actually need to buy one?

We had one for my m-i-l, but we had it on loan from the Red Cross (I think). Needed for same reasons as you - transportation rather 'mode of transport'

We had thought we'd have to buy one - but her support works guided us in the right direction.

xxx

Oh that's an idea - thanks for that......would they loan on a 'long term' basis - I'm hoping that she has a few more years in her yet (please God)......

The ones I have been viewing online are really fairly 'inexpensive'.....but I'm concerned that 'you get what you pay for'........

I am wondering if your mother has had a social care assessment and/or one done by an occupational therapist? Her Dr. may be able to refer her. OT's can recommend all sorts of equipment such as walking frames, shower chairs, special beds, handles, ramps etc. etc. and they are free. I'm not sure if they can also loan wheelchairs, or how this affects people in sheltered housing though.

We have a very light folding wheelchair for my Mum, the lighter the better really because, as you say, you need to be able to manoeuvre it into your car.

Yes they are on a long term loan - ours was for at least 2+ years.

It was a fold flat one and fitted in the back of my feista easily, and I could even do it on my own!! (not very good with 'foldy'things)

xxx

Thanks that's really helpful xD

here

suppose you have seen this site if you have been googling already.

My mum prefers to use a zimmer, because she thinks a stick is for old people, she is 86 this year! They do have some odd ideas sometimes.

:o They are funny aren't they! Thanks for the link! :(

I am wondering if your mother has had a social care assessment and/or one done by an occupational therapist? Her Dr. may be able to refer her. OT's can recommend all sorts of equipment such as walking frames, shower chairs, special beds, handles, ramps etc. etc. and they are free. I'm not sure if they can also loan wheelchairs, or how this affects people in sheltered housing though.

We have a very light folding wheelchair for my Mum, the lighter the better really because, as you say, you need to be able to manoeuvre it into your car.

Thanks Jacquie - mum has always refused any form of assessment - she was in hospital last year and she was offered all sorts of help - but I'm afraid that she just flatly refused it.......she does have lots of very helpful things in her little flat - these are just fitted as standard where she is

The wheelchair that you have your mum sounds absolutely ideal.......

Edited by sunnyday

Hi

My mum needs a wheelchair whenever we go out and we also hire it from the red cross (think they have changed their name recently) and we have had one for over 12yrs- not the same one but updated ones from them- and if it breaks we ring them to change it or fix it! It is really lightweight and fits in the boot of my ford KA.

Hi

My mum needs a wheelchair whenever we go out and we also hire it from the red cross (think they have changed their name recently) and we have had one for over 12yrs- not the same one but updated ones from them- and if it breaks we ring them to change it or fix it! It is really lightweight and fits in the boot of my ford KA.

Thanks that's so helpful :o think that may be the way to go........