Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Biomechanic Register

We use a thumbprint recognition system - we also have a coded internal door so parents still have to buzz and wait to be admitted. If someone unknown were to follow a parent in we can thus still keep the children inaccessible. The system is supposed to be able to tell you who is in the building at any given time, but this relies on all parents/carers being registered and remembering to use the exit pad as they leave!

We are also experiencing a problem in that sometimes the external door doesn't properly lock after closing, so that it can swing open without warning, which is obviously a security issue!

Personally I'm not impressed by the system, mainly because of this issue. Another bugbear is that our parents/carers are dab hands at opening the door if they hear the buzzer while they are still in Reception, despite many, many appeals not to, for the safety of all children. But that's a different issue :o .

Any help?

Sue

Thank you for your comments - I have had mixed reviews from parents re installing the system - just thought it a good idea with the help of the pushy salesman. We have restrictions so unable to attach it to the doorway. It will be a portable system and rely on parents pressing the button etc.

How do you register the children in?????

We have a member of staff who has a clipboard and ticks the children off a list as they arrive. They mostly arrive at the same time and anyone who is late is recorded as such and the time is noted. Children put their name on the magnetic whiteboard and can write it on the blackboard if they want to as well

A staff member signs each child in and out with times (OFSTED said a tick wasn't enough) but we also have a remote control on the front door with a video screen which enables us to see who is coming into the setting before letting them in. Combining the best of old school and new technology

max, that sounds like our system.

Interested - do you get parents randomly opening the door to other folk because they have heard the buzzer? Does it sometimes fail to lock shut afterwards?

Is it really reliable?

We have the same video link and buzzer opening system too.

At the moment I register children as they come in to the nursery and add comments and the children self register - I was told by my early years advisor that this was not good enough that parents needed to sign in.

I changed this and ofsted came and they said it was not suitable it should be down to the provider and now I am so confused.

this is why I thought of the biometric system however this is no good either as the system has to be portable ie not attached to the door.

what is best what works what is .....................it how is it done......................................

Twinkle -

I would say, just do what feels best for you. I don't rate this bio whatsit thing (but I'm old and out of date!) for reasons already aired.

Parents signing in? Will they sign out?

Just make sure you can account for children in/out, with times and a Visitors book (not that parents dropping off/picking up should need to sign that - it'd be a sinker before a month was out!!) for OFSTED (and advisor?)

And don't forget, advisors are just that - they advise - you decide !!

Good luck,

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Sue and everyone.

I am using my system to sign in children and out again with timings it is tiny as it is in a book form - the children self register - the parents are happy as they can drop off.

Knowing that their children are safe.

max, that sounds like our system.

Interested - do you get parents randomly opening the door to other folk because they have heard the buzzer? Does it sometimes fail to lock shut afterwards?

Is it really reliable?

Sue R, sorry only just saw your question. We state from the get go that parents are not to open the door under any circumstances, in fact when entering parents quite often shut the door in the next parents face so that they also have to buzz for entry so that we know they are on the premises, plus there is always a member of staff on duty to meet, greet and register on paper. And as to your other question, it is totally reliable, the only time we have had a problem was when we had a power cut and had to resort to parents knocking VERY loudly on the door!

We are in a Church Hall, our system is that one member of staff opens the door to let parents and children into the entrance hall/cloak room, children then take coats off and enter the main room where another member of staff is next to the self registration board and takes the register as the children put their name on the board (or the parents do, or they see the children come into the room).

A third member of staff lets the parents out (or the first member of staff has locked the other door and comes round to let them out) We have a notice on the door to remind parents not to leave unless someone can lock the door behind them.

Seems to work for us although we have only had 22 children at any session all coming in at once (and obviously not with only three members of staff!!)

Rachel

Sue R, sorry only just saw your question. We state from the get go that parents are not to open the door under any circumstances, in fact when entering parents quite often shut the door in the next parents face so that they also have to buzz for entry so that we know they are on the premises, plus there is always a member of staff on duty to meet, greet and register on paper. And as to your other question, it is totally reliable, the only time we have had a problem was when we had a power cut and had to resort to parents knocking VERY loudly on the door!

Thanks for that Max!

Well, our parents are very unhelpful, then! Despite our MANY pleas they still open the door and some don't even bother shutting it. Hmph.

It appears ours is faulty then, despite assurances, as it persists in swinging open so that you really have to make sure it's shut. Will raise with the Directors again!

Sue