Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sick Pay

Would love some feedback to see if you pay your staff sick pay.

Do you have company sick scheme? or do you pay staff a set amount if they are sick?

A member of staff is going to request to the committee, that staff are paid for sick leave. At present if they are sick and they do not get paid but.... get SSP if they are entitlied after 3 days.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

only ssp.. there is no legal obligation to do anything else..

does stop those who may be off for occasional days , and staff tend to be off when genuinely ill ( the committee did have some discretion on this and if a genuine reason they would often pay for the first 3 days as well - not that it is much.. but the thought that counted. )

Will watch this with interest as we don't even get SSP yet.

it is your entitlement if you qualify to get it, not optional for the setting to decide if they want to pay.. usually if you pay national Insurance you tend to qualify, but there is a calculator on the HMRC website which makes it easy to work out if someone is when they are off..

its not like it costs the setting much they can recover most of it , that is also on the calculators..

it is your entitlement if you qualify to get it, not optional for the setting to decide if they want to pay.. usually if you pay national Insurance you tend to qualify, but there is a calculator on the HMRC website which makes it easy to work out if someone is when they are off..

its not like it costs the setting much they can recover most of it , that is also on the calculators..

Thank you Inge, I think most of us should qualify then & we are going to be having an outside company do payroll so all that will be factored in. Ooh, I'll get sick pay! (Except that the only time I have is when my son is ill so that still won't count...)

My staff get paid sick pay and consequently go sick for weeks at a time (honestly!) - why wouldn't they - they are getting paid for it! :/ it might sound great as its full pay - no questions from the committee - but the upshot is people take advantage of it - and this impacts on the team - a sensible sick pay system is fair - just think our committee are a tad out if touch with reality.

Edited by Guest

we pay a maximum of a working weeks sick pay per annum (5 days for full time - then the part time equivalent depending on how many days they work)- any more than that has to be SSP or at management discretion i.e. operations or hospital admissions where we know they aren't just swinging the lead will be paid at full rate. Staff who don't use any of the sick pay during the year get 2 days back as extra leave days in the next year, it works pretty well for us and I have low sickness absence compared to other settings in my area. :o

• 2 years later...