Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning For Child With Needs

hello .. been a member for a while but haven't posted before .. so i hope this ends up in the right place!

sorry if this is a long post!!

first of all a little background:

I work in a nursery pre school room 3-5year olds

I have recently become a 3 year old boys key worker and over the last few weeks i have major concerns about him.

he only speaks 13-18 words and some of these he can't pronounce his social interaction is lacking he doesn't seem to know how to play and often appears to be in his own world. He is behind in all areas.

I am thinking autism (have a relative who is autistic)

I have spoken to my manager and his mum about my concerns .. mum is only worried about his speech i have been very careful not to 'diagnose' and worry mum result is his health visitor is due to come and visit the setting to assess him (his speech as per mums request) in the next 2-3 months yes MONTHS

ok my question/s :

I do observations and PLODS for all of my children .. should i been doing more for this particular child?

Has anyone any advice/ideas of how i plan for his development?

grateful for any help!!

Hi pinkgemma

I would certainly be showing differentiation within your planning for him, also making lots of notes of his achievements as well as any difficulties you feel he may presently be having. Do you have an Area Senco that visits regularly who could pop in and just informally have a little look.

We are also able to direct children/parents we have identified with speech and language concerns to our local Children's Centre where a Speech Therapist has drop in sessions for parents to access if they are concerned, might be worth a try if you have one.

Hope this may help. :o

Hi pinkgemma

I would certainly be showing differentiation within your planning for him, also making lots of notes of his achievements as well as any difficulties you feel he may presently be having. Do you have an Area Senco that visits regularly who could pop in and just informally have a little look.

We are also able to direct children/parents we have identified with speech and language concerns to our local Children's Centre where a Speech Therapist has drop in sessions for parents to access if they are concerned, might be worth a try if you have one.

Hope this may help. :o

Hi pinkgemma and welcome to the forum! xD

Sound advice there from bridger.........nothing much to add apart from urging a little caution....has he only just started at Nursery? if so is he just settling in and lacking in confidence? Or do you have that really strong 'gut feeling' that there is something really 'wrong'?

In addition to the previous suggestions, I would suggest targeting some observations towards recording the behaviour you find concerning. Then, should this child end up being assessed for a developmental disorder, you will be able to offer useful information.

One of the biggest problems parents can encounter when their child is undergoing assessment is lack of evidence to support their concerns so good obs now could be really helpful later on in addition to helping you understand the challenges faced by the child.

Plenty of Obs in areas of concern so you are building up a picture from the start..

also once you have a few of them , check that your setting cannot refer directly to Speech therapy.. we were able to go direct and children were usually seen and assessed more quickly that way..

Hi pinkgemma and welcome to the forum! :o

Sound advice there from bridger.........nothing much to add apart from urging a little caution....has he only just started at Nursery? if so is he just settling in and lacking in confidence? Or do you have that really strong 'gut feeling' that there is something really 'wrong'?

Hes a delightful boy not new to the setting (been in the nursery for almost a year) so i'm sure it isn't a settling in issue he only moved into my room beginning of December (when i became his key worker)

I didn't mention that because i'm actually quite shocked that nobody in his previous room had noted any concerns.

he only ever gets upset when his clothes get dirty/wet this in itself is very excessive behaviour one drop of water and he gets really upset sobbing and crying but as soon as he is changed hes all smiles again.

thanks for all help everyone you've put my mind at ease that i should be doing more focused obs on different aspects of his day.

Hi pinkgemma and welcome.

I hope someone will be able to help you soon so I am going to move this into the preschool section for you.

Thanks susan!! i'll be more careful when i post in the future!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)