Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Holiday Pay

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me.

I opened my playgroup in september and we are only open 3 hours a day during school term time. My question is do you still pay your staff for all the school holidays or how do you do it. It just seems a lot to pay out in the summer holidays when there is nothing coming in from the children.

Advice please!

Hi,

I opened my playgroup in september and we are only open 3 hours a day during school term time. My question is do you still pay your staff for all the school holidays or how do you do it. It just seems a lot to pay out in the summer holidays when there is nothing coming in from the children.

Advice please!

I'm no goood at links/searchs myself (search button top right hand of page)- but if you can search the forum you should find quite a lot of info on this subject...........it comes up often! :oxD:(:(:(

xxx

You will find that the majority of playgroups are contracted for term time only thus 38 weeks. However by law you have to pay holiday pay which is pro rata and equates to 4.58 weeks holiday which I state my girls have to take in holiday time.

As mentioned there are lots of posts discussing this. Again I am no good at links either.

hope this helps

buttercup

no you dont pay for all the time you are closed, but the hours they are owed from the hours they work.

direct gov

business link

both of these give amount you have to pay..

as your staff are not full time workers they do not have to be paid the full 5.6 weeks.. but our committee did as they said it was easier than calculating the amount due for just 38 weeks.. although I do see a comment on business link that the guidance for term-time only workers is currently under review.

Trouble is no one ever tells you when it has been reviewed or changes, they seem to assume you will find out..

found this one too CAB

Edited by Inge

Hi

I run a term time only setting. My staff are paid their holiday pay during the summer holiday period (this was agreed after consultation with them as this is the time when they prefer to receive their holiday pay). Our holiday year runs from September 1 to August 31 and they do not receive pay for the half term or Easter breaks or for bank holidays and do not take holidays during term time.

This is the formula that I use based on information from business link (but as Inge says this is meant to be under review and has been since the changes to holiday pay introduced in April 2009!

(((Total Hours Worked for the Academic Year / 46.4 weeks**) x 5.6) x Hourly Rate)

or in long hand

Total hours worked for the academic year divided by 46.4 weeks = Figure A (Average hours / week)

Figure A (Average hours / week) x 5.6 = Figure B (Total holiday pay hours)

Figure B (Total holiday pay hours) x Hourly rate = Figure C (Total £s holiday pay)

So if a member of staff works 1000 hours during the 38 week year (they average 26 hours per week) and they are paid £7 per hour they would receive £845 holiday pay.

You need to remember when you are budgeting that an employee's flat hourly rate does not include all on-costs such as holiday pay and employers national insurance contributions (NICS) (if staff earn enough) and you should be mindful to keep monies aside for when the NICs and holiday bills come in.

Hope that helps

Hi,

Advice please!

we are this kind of setting..we pay statutory number of weeks holiday pay usually one week at Christmas, one week at Easter and then remaining weeks at summer hols. We pay the weekly rate for the contracted hours so someone who is doing three mornings would be paid one extra week (3X hourly rate) on the last pay day before the break. I do know some settings who do terms who pay a monthly sal. not a weekly /bi weekly pay method and some of these I believe even out the annual pay so that employees are paid during the hols (accommodating of course the statutory requirement). It is the downside of working term times only but then the benefits of being at home during school hols has to have what is know in economic terms as an "opportunity cost" that is you cant have your cake and eat it!