Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Christmas Group Time

Hi i am getting observed next week doing a circle time for 30 minutes. I need to base this on Christmas and link writing into it. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas?

nursery aged chidlren however in my group iv got eal chidlren and children who are begining to hear initial sounds

How well do your nursery children cope with a circle time of 30 minutes, do they stay focused? Could you have some presents in a sack that are wrapped in christmas paper and either you or the children take one out at a time, discuss what may be in it and the children tell by the shape of the present what might be inside - i.e. ball etc., and then on a white board or iwb write the initial letter or say the intial letter, make an action to go along with the sound.

Hi

If you have a class toy- what about they have a bag of presents that they have bought and the children are going to help him make a list of all the things he has bought. A child could take a present out of the bag and write initial sound or cvc word on IWB such things as pen cat book doll etc.

Then FA could be making a list of cvc words and have some more objects on the focus table to help them and even some words to match up.

Hope that helps

G

Ah, Nursery children, mine are 3 - 4's. Something that's holding their attention now though is an initial sound, so we have a glove puppet called Mickey Monkey and he has some pictures of things and the children have to pick out something that starts with a given sound, so this week it was R for Rudolph things and last week S for Santa things. Next week it's a present activity which you might be able to adapt - I'm going to make some pictures of things and ask the children what 'Mickey' has bought for presents for Mum that start with a M sound, Dad with a D sound etc. and have the children come up and choose something and put it in a gift bag with M or D etc on. If they have to get up to get something every now and then they are not having to sit still for such a long time. When they are up, they can write a M or D on the whiteboard.

Is that any use?

Edited by Cait

ok here it goes got a few ideas which u have helped me to form:

1.. pass a wrapped up rpesent around the circle...ask the children what they think it may be..looking at the shape or sound it makes.Tell them this is what i would like for christmas. Now get them to draw what they would like for christmas and maybe get the more able to write initial sound. Then at the end everyone shows what they want and then i get a child to open present to see what it was.

2. Like Caits idea presents in a sack. Children guess what each present could be....and them make their own list as we go along.

3. Dear Santa....read the story and then get children to make a list of what they would like for christmas...encouraging the more able to write inital sounds.

4. ChristmasnTreasure basket of different objects. aLLOW THE children to come and choose an object and tell me something about it. Then make a list of the objects.

what do u all think??

yes, they sound workable. My 3-4's are no-where near writing initial sounds yet - we're stilling having problems recognising them verbally!

have to say i agree cait most of mine can't even hold a pencil properly yet and my focus with EAL children is always the verbal skills first...i would expect these sort of activities in reception but for nursery surely the emphasis should be on pre-writing skills like shoulder movements and listening and recognition . If the focus is on writing then mark making activities would be the way to go i would think ...how about write dance or get the group to draw round you and your headteacher and turn you into santa or a rudolf!

If the focus is on writing then mark making activities would be the way to go i would think ...how about write dance or get the group to draw round you and your headteacher and turn you into santa or a rudolf!

I would say that was inspired finleysmaid, absolutely love that idea - might nick for next year now! it will go in my little book of Christmas!

i do agree with you all...however our school improvement plan is to focus on writing skills .for the more able this is easy to do...howeer with my less able they are just developing pencil skills and do need to be provided with a range of mark making activities. Thats why im struggling with this one.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)