Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hmm, Should I Be Concerned?

Can't you telephone the health visitor, I quite often ring them to ask if a particular family is known to them? We have it on our registraton form that we may need to contact the HV for advice on areas of their childs development.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I just thought I'd give you a quick update. I collared Mum this morning as the little girl has just started her Nursery Entitlement now and there were some forms she had yet to complete. Whilst Mum was happily engaged with those I said that we needed to also sort out her daughters medication needs and what Mum needed to make sure was in her bag each day, as a very minimum requirement. I was going on to repeat the need to involve some professionals in medical advice etc, but before I could get that far, Mum said "Oh she doesn't need them any more" I asked what she meant, and was told that the little girl doesn't need her inhaler or her glucose medicine any more.

So what do you make of that? I'm flummoxed!

Well I don't think there's much you can do now. If the child hasn't been formally diagnosed with any medical issues you can't insist on any intervention or advice.

I think if I were you I'd be very vigilant in terms of safeguarding and take any future new health issues very seriously, requiring professional advice straight away.

If this mum is just a very anxious person who has over-reacted to a few minor health scares perhaps she's seen sense and relaxed a little. If there is still a problem no doubt it will come to light again fairly soon.

I am sure you already have but make a timeline of incidents, comments etc so that if needed it can be referred to..

she could well have been doing the self diagnosing bit.. and do wonder where or whose inhaler was used the time it was produced, no box with name always makes me suspicious.. .. rest is easily available over the counter though and a bit of poor knowledge and internet has a lot to answer for..

any future incidents get staff to insist she talks to you directly and not let her make the comment and leave... tell her you need to record it and have her sign at the time.. make it more formal which has been hard as she dropped off, commented and ran, but with your knowledge now and staff vigilance it should not happen again..

Very odd this could well be a safeguarding children issue Cait if the mum is giving her child medications for illnesses that then seem to dissappear overnight. Just a thought but keep all your interactions with her noted and logged and see whether you think it is serious and warranting referral on to social services or other agency

I would call my area early years child protection team member and have a chat, something not right here

muncheussen by proxy (cant spellit) although i beleive it goes under another name now, springs to mind

sorry did not mean to repeat, just didnt have time to read them all. In our area i can call our EY child protection person just for advice, i wouldnt leave this and i would call for some advice, but i dont know the family.

When many years ago i worked in SCBU we had a mother there with this condition not pleasent at all to deal with, she ws allowed no contact with first child and only looking with social worker for her baby.

good luck Cait