Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Transport

hi all ....i have a problem (well a few but only one i'm prepared to discuss online! :o )

we have arranged a trip to the theatre for christmas. I do not arrange transport as the cost is just too much on top of the price of a ticket...all the parents have sorted themselves out so that's fine apart from one. I have a young chap who has some behaviour difficulties, he has never been to a trip because his parents do not drive. He is difficult to handle (except with us) and so asking another parent would be difficult, his parents would not come with him because they work. Any ideas? i would take him with my deputy in my car but have always said this is not on....now can't seem to see a way around it...Help oh wise ones xD

hi all ....i have a problem (well a few but only one i'm prepared to discuss online! :o )

we have arranged a trip to the theatre for christmas. I do not arrange transport as the cost is just too much on top of the price of a ticket...all the parents have sorted themselves out so that's fine apart from one. I have a young chap who has some behaviour difficulties, he has never been to a trip because his parents do not drive. He is difficult to handle (except with us) and so asking another parent would be difficult, his parents would not come with him because they work. Any ideas? i would take him with my deputy in my car but have always said this is not on....now can't seem to see a way around it...Help oh wise ones xD

Hi,

i have the same sort of problems!, would a member of staff beable to go with another parent and the child?

i suppose a taxi is too expensive also?

Theirs not a grandparent that would take him instead of parents?

Hope one may be of use

petuniak6 ....Thanks for the reply

Yes Taxi too much and i would still have to send someone with them and probably only one member of staff, which would concern me if he played up.

i'm not sure that sending a staff member in another persons car is any better than coming in mine is it?...(or is it??)

Grandparents are all abroad...brothers look after him often but they are all working or at school

difficult isn't it? :o i try to keep costs as low as poss for exactly this sort of family and then get stuck with problems like this. He missed out on forest trip again this term because of the same problem...i've got to try and find a solution. xD

we have arranged a trip to the theatre for christmas. I do not arrange transport as the cost is just too much on top of the price of a ticket...all the parents have sorted themselves out so that's fine apart from one. I have a young chap who has some behaviour difficulties, he has never been to a trip because his parents do not drive. He is difficult to handle (except with us) and so asking another parent would be difficult, his parents would not come with him because they work. Any ideas? i would take him with my deputy in my car but have always said this is not on....now can't seem to see a way around it...Help oh wise ones :(

i think the suggestion of accompanying in another parents car would be good, as taking children in your own car means you must have business class insurance in case of any accidents (god forbid) , i can understand you do not want him to miss out and therefore feel you want to offer ,are the parents of this child friendly with any others ?? it is a shame if not as this child will find it difficult with social interaction outdside of the setting and are his behaviour difficulties already isolating him ?? have you asked the parents what they think would be the best option.

Good luck xD:(

i think the suggestion of accompanying in another parents car would be good, as taking children in your own car means you must have business class insurance in case of any accidents (god forbid) , i can understand you do not want him to miss out and therefore feel you want to offer ,are the parents of this child friendly with any others ?? it is a shame if not as this child will find it difficult with social interaction outdside of the setting and are his behaviour difficulties already isolating him ?? have you asked the parents what they think would be the best option.

Good luck :oxD

I think that if i take any responsibility for organising this then i am in a fix with insurance...i might ring and find out where we stand on that one.The parents both work and are not often in the setting (brother drops off) he comes to us rather than his local nursery because they had a bad experience with their older children (social care involvement) however he will go to the local school and will not go with anyone else in our setting (we send to at least 8 settings!) I have not asked the parents yet as i wanted to be able to offer them something first otherwise they will just not send him ...and i know that if he comes with us and his keyworker he will love it :(

His behaviour difficulties don't isolate him...in fact he and most of the boys are a force to be reckoned with but he is quite hyperactive and doesn't follow rules and boundries well .

I wondered if our childminders can share how they go about the insurance issue as they will often have children in their cars. Is there possibly some way you can get temporary cover as a one off for your visit?

Also what happens when you have other parents who don't drive, do parents who then offer to take them have to have additional cover?

Good luck with it, let us know how you manage to get around it.

My car insurance company added business insurance for free to my policy, just explained the circumstances and it was easily done, so worth an ask. if there is a charge it does not solve the problem..

May also be worth a call to local taxi and other car hire companies, some do have a charity budget and may do it for a reduced or free cost.. we had a dad who was a taxi driver so sorted this one out for us, but we did it again another year .

Think I was lucky as only time we did this I had a parent who was a childminder who did the transport for the child we had with additional needs with the parent and another staff member to support them.. she had a big car too!

Childminder here,

My car insurance is a small business use type one. Costs about £20 extra each year. I would expect a phone call to the company might have them cover a single trip for free. Just as long as parents give the go ahead.

If I thought this trip was in the child's best interest, I would really go out of my way to make it happen for them. Sounds like they have a hard row to hoe. And I would want them with me with that special hand to hold. But, it might be that the child may find the trip too stressful, then it wouldn't be nice to put them through all that anyway. Judgement calls there - best of luck,

Honey

thanks everyone i think its clear that a call to the insurance company is the way to go. This little chap is great a real character ...perhaps not given all the opportunities he needs. He will not get distressed with us, we have a good relationship and his comprehension is now at the level that he will understand...just more hyperactive than anything. I really want to try and get him there i think he will love it and he is now able to sit for stories etc which is a huge improvement. He flies to portugal to see his grandparents so i reckon we can get him to hover for the show time but if not we have enough staff to remove him if it's not right for him xD thanks for all your help...couldn't see a way out this morning but think i'll tackle Mum on monday and see what she thinks...if she's not on board then hey ho...but somehow i think if i offer her a couple of hours without her whirlwind i think she may snap my hand off! :o