Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dilemma.....update

Well had the meeting with Board of Governors about them taking on school club...a few issues to iron out but fingers crossed will be ok.

Chair of Governors said that if they take it on as sub-committee of Governors with Exec Manager would any of the current parent committee help out on it...my honest answer...no...they are all fed up with it! He then asked me if I would help out....mug written all over my face????? Said yes i would think about it! (much to husbands disgust!)

Then started talking about advertsiing for Exec Manager. Did they think we would get a suitable strong candidate?? One of the governors who sits on our committee said she could think of 2 that would apply...staring at me.....???

Im so torn..Exec Manager..salaried, more money, working with the school, lots of staff issues, challenging, flexible working, in my village, no child care costs.....

Pre-school assistant...love it, no stress (apart from OFSTED), lovely atmosphere, term time only, low wage, no hope of promotion, child care costs...

or do I not go for it and sit on sub-committee in an advisory role....could wait and see if we get any suitbale applicants...aaahhhh!

Hubby no use for advice at all...

Help!!!??? Anyone have any opinions??

letting go of which one?

the one with all the responsibility or the fun one!

both have good and bad points for you... where do you see yourself progressing in time? Has income got a bearing on it.. but then does time off as well -

2 mentioned who could be suitable..do you know the second one?

and unpaid role as advisory..if you do decide to do this it may be a good idea to set a time limit on it, so you don't end up doing the paid role without the pay if you get my gist, that could be an easy trap to fall into. Think I would set a term and then leave them to it..

Apply and see if you get it then decide? if you do take the new post would that reduce being at home during a time that could cause issues..

perhaps ask for the job description and application forms to see what is expected... have done that a few times but not applied .

letting go of which one?

the one with all the responsibility or the fun one!

both have good and bad points for you... where do you see yourself progressing in time? Has income got a bearing on it.. but then does time off as well -

2 mentioned who could be suitable..do you know the second one?

and unpaid role as advisory..if you do decide to do this it may be a good idea to set a time limit on it, so you don't end up doing the paid role without the pay if you get my gist, that could be an easy trap to fall into. Think I would set a term and then leave them to it..

Apply and see if you get it then decide? if you do take the new post would that reduce being at home during a time that could cause issues..

perhaps ask for the job description and application forms to see what is expected... have done that a few times but not applied .

Letting go of the one with all the responsibilites and hassles!

Oh Inge....I knew you would advise.....all those things going on in my mind. I swaying towards the keeping the job I love as less hassle etc. I love doing term time only,going off with the family trailer tenting xD:o

I may well be tempted to see who they get to apply and if no suitable candidate to maybe then apply if they would consider term time only...fate to decide eh?

Im not sure who the other potenital candidate is.

Plus to be honest after this month I have dont think I have the energy to apply never mind be interviewed etc! I just know that a few in that room tonight were sort of looking in my direction and Im really not sure.

Will see how things progress.

Thanks!

Hi Marley it appears from all your previous posts that you are such a committed practitioner in helping the school club run well and continue to be sustainable. So my question in helping you make a decision is, would you like to be a major force in achieving this, if yes then i would say go for it. Telll them your terms and see what happens.

Wishing you well.

Bridger x

If they are looking to you it may be a job with minimum interviews etc as they have already seen you effectively do the job for the last year unpaid..

and I do like the idea of telling them some terms you want and see...

sometimes it is the things we least expect that come along and change things...

Make a good attempt at applying for it. You can always say no...Yes you can. I recently applied for a job and the actual sitting down and writing the application clarified what I really did want. As soon as I posted it off I knew I didn't want the job, I was just looking for 'something else'. If you do apply and someone else gets the job it just means that they wanted it more than you and maybe you really didn't want it anyway - just doing it because you thought you should. Go in with all good intentions but be prepared to say NO if you change your mind.

Go for it.

Honey

What fab people you are!

Had an email this morning from one of the board (who is also a friend). She said she was impressed with how informed i was last night at the meeting and hoped that I would be applying for the job!

I have replied and said its a dilemma given my circumstances but that hubby would kill me for working anything but term time only...I would think she would pass this on so maybe see what happens next. Meanwhile the head has got the job descrition we supplied as parent committee which is quite extensiive anyway and he wants to add his bits in so will have to see what he is expecting from it all.

Edited by marley

good luck with what ever you decide , i had a similar situation in making a choice, did i continue to work as an assistant at a great preschool or take on the supervisory role in my village preschool which i had turned down before. finally decided after observing one day that it may be something to consider, everyone seemed to hold me in such high esteem and thought i was what the place needed to turn it round again , it was nice and a real confidence boost.

After many sleepless nights and lists of pro and cons I decided to take the role and 2 weeks in I'm glad i did , as I always say "it's better to regret something you have done than something you haven't!!

Wow lashes that is great to hear....and as you same same situation to myself!

Think you are right...have been talking to girl friends tonight and they have said the same thing about at least going for it.

Will let you know once it gets advertised.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)