Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

1st Assignment

kristina

Hi

I have 4 weeks to get my first 2 assignments in for my foundation degree and have a cheeky favour to ask!! I have always worked better when I have seen an example of what is expected of me, I dont mean to copy or anything just at what level I should be writing at!! So I was wondering if anyone would be happy to let me have a look at a 1st year assignment that they have done just so I can see where I need to be heading with my academic writing!! As I mentioned it's not to use in my own essays just to see how to write!! :o

Hope this makes sense and that someone maybe willing to let me have a peek (even a paragraph!!).

Kris

One of the assignments is on outdoor play and I have chosen to narrow it down to risk/challenge, although what i am after is an example of the academic writing for this level so doesn't need to be about my assignment if that makes sense. Our tutors at the moment are reinforcing that we are degree students and that our writing should reflect this, but an idea of standard of writing would be good!! :o

Kris

The problem with this kris is that you can't be sure of the quality of the work you're being shown as an exemplar! You might receive something from a student who just scraped a pass and so might not be of high enough quality for you to aspire to, or equally you might receive something from a grade A student that might put you off altogether!

What guidance have you been given by your tutors? We provide specific support designed to help our learners develop their academic writing, but wouldn't advocate looking at someone else's work.

Hi HappyMaz

What we have been told to do is read!! But the fact that we keep being told that we are degree students and not level 3 anymore and our writing content and technique should show this is what is worrying me!! I keep putting off getting started as I'm not sure what/how too write! That probably sounds really daft not knowing how to write! :o

Kris

We tell our students to read lots and widely, too kristina! Will you have the opportunity to submit a piece of work for formative feedback before your first assignment is due? We build in lots of these opportunities on our programme so that they get an idea of where they need to improve and so their academic writing skills are developing all the way through the first year.

Have you spoken to your tutors about these fears? I'll bet you're not the only one in your group stressing over it!

Kristina I can totally sympathise - I was just the same when I started - literally not knowing where to start. You will be given lots of advice and that will possibly confuse you even more!! I agree with HappyMaz - I would happily share some of my work but I didn't get A grades - although good enough grades to graduate!! - it is also very tempting to write in the same way as the person whose work you are referring to - you need to write in your own way. Have your tutors offered to read a draft? - ours did and it was very useful. The hardest part is actually starting off - bite the bullet and write an opening paragraph - start with your essay title reworded. Good Luck

I can relate to what you are saying. Just spent the last two years not knowing if I was doing it write. Managed to get through each bit with a pass and some a bit higher so more than happy.

My advice would be to follow the questions be methodical in the way you present it and keep relating to course work and practice. I came to believe more quotes the better although they do eat up your word count.

I think the courses have now changed from what I have just done.

Buttercup

...and just to add to the quandary - each tutor will have their own preferred style of writing!!

The best thing is to attend as many open tutorials as possible (try not to be temped with 'I think I'll just work from home') You should then have the opportunity for you to talk with you tutor, and for them to look over some draft work. When I did mine they could look at/comment on up to 20% of assignment.

I was lucky in that we had a small (9), very close group, and we offered each other loads of support. On open tutorial days we would each take all our books in to share and worked as a study group. If someone said 'I'm looking for such-and-such' quote' someone would always help....maybe in a book you hadn't been able to personally get hold of, or one you wouldn't have thought to look in etc.

...and just to add to the quandary - each tutor will have their own preferred style of writing!!

Don't say that! I can feel kristina's panic rising even further!

I can speak for other institutions, but we offer fairly standard guidance to our students about academic writing and of course each assignment moderated to ensure standards are maintained and that marking is consistent across all modules and partner colleges. Expectations from each lecturer/marker shouldn't vary too much, and if they do then this should be raised by the student body so that this can be addressed.

We have 3 different tutors and I have to say they do tend to differ in what they tell you, we have 1 that is insisting their essay is written in the 3rd person and we shouldn't put our personal views in and another that has said we should reflect back to our own practice!! Does get very confusing!

Kris

We have 3 different tutors and I have to say they do tend to differ in what they tell you, we have 1 that is insisting their essay is written in the 3rd person and we shouldn't put our personal views in and another that has said we should reflect back to our own practice!!

Well yes, there is a difference in writing in the third person for assignments and writing in the first person when you're doing a reflective account. I remember that hali and I found writing in the third person again for our reflective practitioner assignment very difficult after three years of having the third person drummed into us!

• 1 month later...

Well done Kristina on passing both assignments. Hopefully you will have some good, helpful feedback from your tutors to help you move forward with your next assignment.

Good luck with your degree

mrsW x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)