Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Burn Out...already?

Hello everyone, it's another moan I'm afraid!

I am a pre-school leader/supervisor/manager whatever you want to call it, and have been in the job for a year. I have plenty of experience having been a childminder and worked in a children's centre previously, and also been in retail managment for many years before this. Now I expected the job to be hard work at first, especially as I had loads of changes I needed to implement to get us up to scratch in the beginning, and believe me I have worked my socks off. The trouble is it never seems to end! I never reach the end of my 'to do' list, and I go to bed at night thinking of all the things I still need to do. I had a big committee issue last week which caused me many sleepless nights (all sorted now), and I tried to go in all positive each day, but by Friday even the parents were asking if I was okay, I looked so rough!

Trying to balance work and home (I have 3 teenagers at home) is a constant battle. Never mind not being able to please all of the people all of the time, I can't please anyone any of the time!

I would really like to ask all you "old hands" who have managed to do the job for years, just how do you do it? When I first joined this forum sokmeone posted about the average burn out time in this job, and they suggested 4 years. I think I'm close to that now. Help!

Also, just to add to it all, I'm starting EYPS in January, and really not sure I can cope with that too, but I really want to do it for myself.

It is hard hun with lots of unpaid time working..... :o Can you delegate anything to other members of staff to help you out at all? :( To be honest you will always have a to do list - nothing is ever perfect and there is always room for improvements. - if you go for EYPS (which i think you should) you will probably add more to your list :( - but it will be worth it to see the high quality setting you will end you with...... and worth the extra hard work. Good luck hun xD:(

I think the never-ending to-do list is a sign of a reflective practitioner too. You'll never be satisfied with the setting, the practice, the routine, the planning - you're constantly looking for ways to improve. I know for me, I am terrible at delegating! My deputy is fabulous and as she has had a taste of the job several times (I left in 2006 and she covered for a term until they got a replacement - who left after a term... etc etc until I came back last September!) so she always asks if there is anything she can do to help and I know she will do it properly.

Try and find ways the others can help out to give you more time to yourself. Prioritise. Set yourself time limits - say an hour in the evening and stick to it.

Good luck! It is the most frustrating and yet at the same time rewarding job in the world!

Just take a good look at your 'to do list'.

Who made the list?

Are there things on there that needn't be?

Things that you'd like to do but wont bring the EYFS world crashing down if they dont get done?

Or is everything the difference between inadequate and outstanding?

Priorities are you, family, work.

I threw my T-shirt away after 3 years of playleader. :o

I have been doing this job now for 18 years and i'm still not at the top of my to do list as there is always something new to go on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I prioritise my to do list now, somethings need to be done but others can wait, i always put an action plan in place so i can show ofsted that i know it needs doing and they can see i have acknwledged this. I then do alot of my paperwork over the school holidays, especially the 6 week break

I do this job because i love the children and watching them progress, i too have done my EYPS, you do manage to fit it in and when your finished you wonder where all that spare time has gone that you thought you were going to have when you finished the EYPS and it just doesnt happen.

Keep at it and as hali said see if you can delegate anything

Good Luck

Oh Devondaisy your right in that the list never seems to end. :(

Are you committee run, are they able to take on any of the workload?. :(

I have to say i used to take it home and worry constantly about it all, but i found in the end that i had to hold my hands up and say i can't do it all.

Are you due an appraisal soon where you may be able to highlight some of the areas you could do with some help with.

As for the EYPS, has part of the syllabus any training in learning to delegate, ha ha xD:o

Good luck hun

bridger

Hi

EYPS would be prefect for you as for the majority of standards you need to show leadshiper ie someone else doing to acreditation and you leading and supporting.

I have just had my setting visit, so I have finished. Like me, if you are already involved in everything it will be much easier.

Good luck.

Just wanted to send my empathy - I know just how you feel...I think Im burnt out :o

Me too - know what you mean in bucket loads and have decided enough is enough and have decided to pursue one of my hobbies as a job and become a garden designer. At least if I'm not doing something right I won't be grumbled at too much - the plants will just show me!

Edited by Guest

Thank you everyone for your words of support. Wow Simcity, 18 years - amazing!

The "to do" list is all mine, I just have to write everything down or I forget things! Today I made a "must do today" list instead and actually reached the bottom of it just now - I feel so much better. Still lots on the "needs to be done but not immediately life threatening" list though! I do set high standards for myself, so I only really have myself to blame! :o

My staff are all great, but they get paid so little I really can't ask them to do more in their own time. I also have a good committee chair at the moment, whose only fault is a tendency to want to take over - she's been in position ages, so really I'm quite well supported. I'll just keep plugging away at it, and try not to take so much home.

Really looking forward to EYP training, (and also a bit nervous!) so thanks for the words of encouragement. It feels like I'm doing something for myself and I've been wanting to do it for a while now. Fingers crossed it goes okay. xD

Can only echo what the others have said and send my empathy and sympathy! Please do the EYP as I think you will find it worthwhile and it will help you recognise the difference all your extra work makes - it did for me. I also found this time of year particularly hard, year in, year out! When it gets a bit closer to Christmas I was buoyed by that although even more tired if that's possible and then spring came and I felt a bit brighter again. Hang onto the special moments where people, even children, make you feel like you did well and drag them up when you're having a bad time. For me it was especially helpful working in a village where I often met children, long since left, and they let on to me with a big smile.

I believe that I never stop learning and have never managed not to have a to do list. If I honestly had absolutely nothing to do on my 'list' then I would be worried!

In May 2012 I will be celebrating having worked in Early Years for 40 years.

Many bad days, some truly awful times but these are far outweighed by the good times. Work life balance is a tricky one but for me my family has and always will come first even though they are adults now.

I am not very good at switching off at the end of the day but most of the time pre-school issues remain there and I conciously try (not always succeeding though!) not to dwell on things at home.

No easy answers really, I think we all deal with/cope with in our own way and find something that works for us :o Of course the best suggestion is to come onto FSF to seek advice/support, have a rant etc xD

Are you committee run, are they able to take on any of the workload?. :(

I feel in my case its the other way round :( :( ...when will the manager start doing the things I do??? I bet she doesnt go home and answer emails from parents who say" this happened last night and i think you ought to know..."

After the month I had...dished out a written warning, a verbal warning to staff..dealt with 2 parent complaints...a serious incident...trying to sort out Board of Governors to take over school club... :oxD

Reading all your messages on here about how over worked you managers are and it has really made me think about if i want to apply for the exec manger position they are going to advertise for club soon..mind you been doing it for free for the last 12 months!!

I sort of long for the time i used to come home from work ie pre-school,have a coffee, put the washing away etc before going to school to pick son up. Now I come home check emails, sort questionnaires, type newsletters, go to club before it opens to drop off, remind staff, or sort something out, then get caught by committee or parent in playground etc etc.

Then ihave to come on here for support/advice as something is bound to have cropped up.

Its making me think really hard about it all. I enjoy it..I think...but need more time in the day to fit everything in :wacko:

I admire you doing more qualifications..go for it if you can.

• 2 months later...

I empathise,

been in the role for nearly 10 yrs. Have certain things on my mind most of the time, but I have really taken a big step in making a clear definition betw home and work life and ensuring that my children get the most of their mummy without added stresses from work.

My advice is certainly to look at your 'To Do list' and to minimise it! Hand out jobs and roles, think about whether you really do need to re-write a document or to just fill in an extra bit on the bottom in pen? Can you actually try to take the lunch break you are supposed to have? Even if it means you sit in the car for 20 mins and listen to the radio?

Prioritise yourself a little because without doing so you will burn out!

To coin a well used phrase ' you're worth it'!

Spiral x

I know this is an old thread but I could have easily wrote that pos myself!!!

I took over as leader in September 2009 and had to start from scratch. Last year I also underwent my EYP and cam out the other side.

As with your to do list I have a few hints and tips!!!

Write everything down then in a column next to it add either A - if urgent, cant wait must be done, B - if needs done but can wait and C - not important, if it doesn't get done tough!! Then number your A- from 1 being the most priority etc and do the same with B and C's too and then rewrite in order. Will help massively.

Secondly - delegate, delegate, delegate!!!! This is only something I am learning to do so know the feeling but know I just had it over with instrutions. Yes it's easier to do it yourself sometimes but give it to another staff member to do.

If you want any support, advice or just somewhere to vent please feel free to pm me. I also share many frustrations as I am committee run too

I agree with Sazz, and the most important thing i have learned about not doing everything myself is that it was how i learned my role in the first place, and it was much more efficient than reading or being told what to do, and as with everything that learning spread to be used in other areas of what i do. Delegating actually helps your staff work with you as a team, and stops you feeling all alone at times :)

Totally agree with Rea!!

I sometimes ask myself how much longer can I go on like this??? I actually love my job, the kids the teaching ....the stuff thats are on my to do list is always pretty much paper work. I try not to always right a to do list, now i only write one when I feel that the things are really important and ive stopped writing stupid things like sharpen the pencils, remind.... to do......, speak to ..... about....... I became obsessed now I just feel what if remember must be importnat what i forget can wait.I think somethime sa to dolist can make you more stressed as you just constanly thing oh gosh loads to do and when?

Its a hard job but pretty addictive! lol

Totally agree with Rea!!

I sometimes ask myself how much longer can I go on like this??? I actually love my job, the kids the teaching ....the stuff thats are on my to do list is always pretty much paper work. I try not to always right a to do list, now i only write one when I feel that the things are really important and ive stopped writing stupid things like sharpen the pencils, remind.... to do......, speak to ..... about....... I became obsessed now I just feel what if remember must be importnat what i forget can wait.I think somethime sa to dolist can make you more stressed as you just constanly thing oh gosh loads to do and when?

Its a hard job but pretty addictive! lol

i completly understand, i love my job and i always adding to my list, mainly because i have that many tasks and things i dnt like to forget anything!

I have high standards, i run an outstanding setting and one of the reasons i got there is i had to learn to delegate tasks to others- doing this allowed me to spend time on ideas but at the same time supporting and guding staff to carry it on for me when i moved onto something new, that way i could start the ball rolling modelling how to use the idea but allowed staff the opportuity to take ownership of it.

One thing i introduced was a list of extra roles this included parent link, senco, behaviour, i identified staff and supported them with the processes using training via the LA to build their knowledge so they were comfortable to work on these subjects, they ay initally require guiance but the end result is great as they keep me informed of concerns, work, events etc so i know exactly what projects they are working on but need little input from me. It takes a whole lots of stress from your shoulders!

If like me though you do like a things to do list i make them colour coded so i can see exactly what needs doing first, red urgent and requires work asap, orange needs work but can take longer to complete and green for those tasks you want to do when i am able to hope this helps :o

I've 30 plus years in but today I got a eye openner. I've been suffering from what I thought was a tooth absess. After many questions from the dentist the one that hit home was 'do you often wake with an headache?...errr yes and if i wake with a migraine they are the hardest to deal with. He says there is significant wear on my back teeth and movement and that I'm grinding my teeth in my sleep. Do I clench my jaw during the day? Am I stressed? yes, yes, yes

Result-to beware I'm clenching my teeth during the day and make an effort to notice and relax my jaw which should help relaz it while I sleep. He'll check again in a month and possibly make a gum type shield to wear at night

So there you have it, working in early years and two teenage daughters can seriously damage you teeth!

This passed 2 months has been stressful when the teacher I work with who is pregnant fell early december and broke her ankle and I've had supply after supply while managing Christmas, nativity, and january new intake.