Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outstanding....i Hope So!

We are due our Inspection soon and have really been working hard at going that extra mile!

We are currently rated 'good' but i'm so passionate about getting outstanding this time (cross fingers)

Has anyone got any wonderful ideas that you think got you a good or even better an outstanding in your inspection?

x

I would guess meeting all the actions/recommendations from your previous 'good' outcome and showing how you plan to further progress the setting in the future based on reflective practice and what your local children / parents have indicated they would benefit from that maybe isn't offered elsewhere.

I am a foster carer and I'm out of early years sector now but my fostering agency recently got an outstanding from Ofsted and our agency said that this was a lot due to the feedback Ofsted got from the foster carers and foster children, so get working on feedback forms from your parents and look at ways to evidence the children's views of what they say they think about your setting.

GOOD LUCK :o

Peggy

Not to put you off but we were recently Ofsted'd with goods and outstandings previously and I didn't feel that anything we did this time to go the extra mile was recognised!!

My own personal advice would be make sure that what the inspection team see is a true reflection of the work you put in and have to hand a list of notes about things they might or might not see to bring to their attention and to look at what little things they commented on in the last report!

I work in a maintained nursery and a private one attached to the school and manage the extended care. I went into a meeting with the reception teacher and we were given 15 minutes (because they were over running with all their appointment slots) to tell them all we wanted to say and answer the questions they had. It was not enough time and although they said they would talk with us again they did not!!

Be yourselves!!!!

Good luck x

We were inspected in May - and were delighted with the outcome! :o

How is your SEF looking - does it show clearly how you have addressed any points from your last inspection - does it show that you have 'exciting' plans for the future - does it show that you constantly evaluate your practice.......

Try not to worry too much - hope you have a really lovely inspector and that all goes well for you.....

Don't forget to let us know! xD

One thing that I hear frequently at the moment is that they're very keen on hearing about your emphasis on 'closing the gap' so if you don't have anything specific to show them in this area it might be worth spending some time on.

Incidentally, we've recently put a little thing on the front page to congratulate a pre-school on their Ofsted report. I thought it might be a nice idea to celebrate our achievements, as many of you come here to let each other know how you've done. If anyone would like their Ofsted report similarly highlighted just let me know - and if you have a website to link to as well I'll be happy to add that. :o

Our SEF really shows us to be a reflective setting and we do alot more to evaluate like tracking our children, looking at the percentages of boys/girls, EAL children etc!

We have always been ourselves when we are inspected and i think this does reflect in the comments made by the last inspector, which was great!

I will definatly look at feedback from parents and children and also how to evidence this!

Thanks guys, you have all given me food for thought! :)

• 5 months later...

Thank you Finleysmaid...could you elaborate on the planning for the outdoors for me please? At the moment we just include an activity for the outdoors on the plans each day (along with all the continuos provision) Is this what you do? :) x

ok now to try and get back to what i was about to say...our planning comes in two sections our next steps (written by the keyworkers) are plotted onto the medium term plan (fortnightly for us as we have 50+ children) under general areas..so mark making/numeracy/etc then the short term planning is the environment plan and tells us what sort of thing we need to put out in order to provide the experiences likely to encourage the required learning (hope that makes sense)

Each day there is also an adult led activity which is highlighted...this is either done inside or outside depending on what it is

(i have removed the childrens names but hopefully you'll get the idea)

Medium term planning..27-2-12 for forum.docx

planning for forum.docx