Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sanitation Disposal!

I was approached by our caretaker this morning who told me we couldn't put 'sanitary wear' down the toilets as there had been a blockage over the half term. Although i totally agree with this, our only other option has been to put them in unlined bins in each toilet (which we have obviously never done!!). Could anyone enlighten me as to how their community village hall settings deal with this issue. Apologies for any offence caused in raising this subject on FSF but thought it may help other settings as well as myself!

thank you.

dottyp

no offence taken ..good question! we have a small (lined )bin with a lid in the toilets and a small packet of nappy type bags on the windowsill. Works well and the bin is emptied daily. I wouldn't risk putting anything down our drains they are very old and VERY easily blocked...i forbid anyone from putting baby wipes down them! :oxD

Thank u finleysmaid. This could be an easy solution for us too! Does this bin get emptied into the normal dustbin rubbish every day?? We place nappies, wipes etc straight into the outside bin together with used paper towels as we are a small group and do not need to have a contractor to collect our them.

dottyp

I was going to suggest there might be a regulation surrounding this then googled and boy is there! Sanitary waste is not considered to clinical waste but is controlled waste that must be disposed of under strict legislation.

here is just one site.

and here

Edited by Rea

I'm sure its down the hall committee mps09 but i wanted to be sure of the legal side of things before i respond to them.

Rea, two very interesting sites, but they both refer to what an employer should provide. i'm not sure if community hall requirements are the same as technically the're not our 'employers'.

dottyp

I'm sure its down the hall committee mps09 but i wanted to be sure of the legal side of things before i respond to them.

Rea, two very interesting sites, but they both refer to what an employer should provide. i'm not sure if community hall requirements are the same as technically the're not our 'employers'.

dottyp

I couldnt find anything that related to landlords it all seems to be what the employer should provide. Maybe it would be your management who have to provide it.

Village halls are very good at finding loop holes and avoiding legal requirements. Ours go into toilet bin and then normal rubbish bin at end of the session, but be warned the village hall might just complain about the bin being further clutter rather than an essential requirement!!