Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reason For Absence - Informing Manager

i am new on here so please bare with me.

i have a question on the same kind of lines. what about a member of staff who has been off for a while with a illness, but has now returned back to work but you dont think they are 100% ready. even though they have signed a health decleration to say they are fit and well.

Why don't you offer the back to work interview - a chat about how she is feeling now that she's back, something you have perhaps noticed yourself, and offer her a progressive return to work, such as 3 mornings rather than 5 for the next couple of weeks and then stepping up with one more morning. Could she be coming back to work too soon because of financial worries? Would there be anything you could do to reassure her?

oh dear Sheila , this is a very difficult subject that has obviously hit a few nerves (no pun intended) and I sympathise with you and also your member of staff. Firstly you have a policy/procedure in place and therefore can understand why you feel let down but on the flip side that member of staff could not for whatever reason speak to you personally, I have probably a great understanding of mental health as unfortunately it is an illness members of my family have suffered with long term. Yes there are stigma still there and it is important to remember that 'Mental Illness' is just that, an illness with varying degrees of recovery and time. Mental illness does not have to be an ISSUE but i do understand your concerns regarding safety of the children but this would be down to the person behaviour, suitability of continuing to work within setting and also the actual extent of the mental illness and medication.

We have had a similar situation , member of staff was signed off with illness , came back and then wanted to increase hours , I held a back to work interview,reassured her of my support and continue to do so , her doctor felt she was well enough to return knowing the job she did. Ofsted imspector suggested to me that it all comes under part of continuing suitability as MH can be very difficult area and it is like any illness . medication take different effects wether for MH or other illnesses, continue with care , understanding and knowledge first hand where possible.