Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advice Please

Good morning all.

I am a new member. I have been childminding for nearly 3 years and am taking on my first two EYFS children in December. They are 6 months old and 2 years old.

I have started doing my medium planning etc and I have found a downloadable grid for the EYFS learning goals.

My question is how do I record on it? Sorry if this is a daft question but I have no idea whether I just tick the box, date the box or what.

Thanks in advance for any help

Michelle

Dear shellb welcome to the forum ...can i just ask are you sure that this grid is for the development matters statements and not for the early learning goals? the ELG's are for children in their reception year and therfore a bit old for the children you are planning for. :o

oohps spelling mistake

Edited by finleysmaid

Hi ShellB, welcome to the forum

Every County seems to do things a little differently. I had a system that I liked, where I wrote a little comment alongside the statements to say what a child had done or said that gave me 'proof' that this was achieved. All the staff liked them, parents did and although it was time consuming, we found it helpful particularly as we could see a 'value judgement' against the statement. So if a child changed groups at Preschool we could see whether we agreed it had been attained on the basis of the 'proof' or not. Some of the comments were quite anecdotal, one stays in my mind particularly, for a child learning a new word and using it in conversation, "Mum says I'm such a chatterbox, but I'm not really. Do you think I'm a chatterbox? Daddy didn't say so, shall I ask him if he thinks I'm a chatterbox?"

Unfortunately, our County have developed their own system, which is just to highlight the development statements each term to show progression. They didn't want us to continue with our system as they wanted all settings doing the same thing.

There is a really good system on the forum that you can download for free, called PRAMS (Progress Recording and Monitoring System) which you may enjoy using.

I can upload my old comment sheet system if you'd like it.

Whatever system you choose to use, remember that ultimately it's to help YOU

Thank you for the reply Finleysmaid I had done an goals grid and not a development matters grid, so I am now correcting this error.

Think I will make it so I can just date when they have accomplished it.

Thank you also Cait. I will have a look at the PRAMS but not very IT literate so things like that scare me :)

I have no support off my Early years department whatsoever. When they come round their opening sentence is usually 'So what do you have that's new that we can pinch?'

Hence I have started to hide things from them as they have put things together in the past, that were mine and took credit for them gggrrrr

Welcome aboard fellow RCM,

I'm the worst at record keeping, but I'm loving PRAMS. But you sound like a good record keeper so you might be happier with something paper based. What every you do, it's ok to find your own way - just don't make it too complicated.

Best of luck,

Honey

I have no support off my Early years department whatsoever. When they come round their opening sentence is usually 'So what do you have that's new that we can pinch?'

Hence I have started to hide things from them as they have put things together in the past, that were mine and took credit for them gggrrrr

Hiya ShelB and welcome, can relate big time to your comment above. Your not in Sefton are you ? Am about to separate my "All about Me" file to include subsections of the six areas. With a proforma for relevant developmental age/ aspects within. Then using my daily dairy any highlighted developments can be cross referenced to relevant are ( PSED,CLL etc). A colleague uses postitnotes ( she is ex primary school so does already now aspects off pat :o ) but I am still re reading my daily diaries monthly to note achievements . Hope this is clear

My daily diary has the six areas down the right hand side as tickboxes so I know which areas have been covered generally. The detail hopefully, within the diary bit, shows which aspects has been covered.

Some days there are loads others not so dont be too concerned. As someone advised me , the more you do - the easy it gets ie recognising what they want you to comment/note :) hope this helps. xD

• 1 month later...

Sorry waveawand, only just seen your last comment. I am in West Midlands. Last week I had a folder dropped off. Apparently its a QUIP folder, no explanation no nothing Have no clue what I am supposed to do with it *sigh

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)