Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What To Charge For Ten Month Old

hiya one and all, need some help as to what to charge. I have parent coming in an hour and need to get sorted re monies !!! Havent had a lo this young for a while so forgotten charges really

I normally have an hourly rate of £4.00, higher for before 08.00am

( double ?). These parents whom I like are wanting me from 7.00am to 5.00pm on two days to cover whilst mum is in Leicestershire. My problem is that I dont normally have a day rate. They have no family near and are new to area. I am going to be looking after lo in November for half days ( they are moving her from nurseryto me) but dont know what to charge. Does anyone work in NW area to give me a some idea of charges (southport, Formby). Its no use asking cms in this area as none of them put there charges on FIS site. Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved. Starting to panic a little now.....

Edited by waveawand

Sorry didn't read this before the right time. Hope you got it sorted. I charge the same for whatever age. I can stack them a bit deeper when they're older. I just upgrade my fees ahead of booking. So new starters pay the highest price and they stay on that rate until they leave. So if they're still with me in grade five they still pay the same hourly rate they paid when they were one. That way families benefit from staying loyal to me and I keep my places fuller and don't have to think too much.

So, if everyone else is on £4 I think I'd be saying £4.20 and stick with that. Now, I don't know anyone else who does this - just my spin on things.

Hope it's sorted,

Honey

Thanks for That HoneyPancakes - but not altogether sure now. These new peeps are okay I feel, very cautious and gave me a thorough once over which is also okay and encouraging compared to previous experiences of late xD . Spanner in the works ( or maybe not ?) Why are my "sagas" never straightforward ? No wonder there wasn't a rush to answer my post !! Anyway.....The dad came around as planned but without lo (?) also okay as we were able to sound each other out so to speak. In the midst of vetting me he also showed me the "rota" as he works shifts. (Im under the impression that I will be having lo from November.) Ask him what he has said to nursery and he says that he is "keeping us separate ie not saying anything" I ask why - and he says they have been so good re rota and dont want them to get upset& by the way that he doesnt pay for holidays (?) That they would like the nursery to have her a few days - so has "split the rota" I ask why - he says cos they have more kids and she likes the company. ! this is even when I have said that I will be taking her to groups etc.

I say that although I am happy to help them out this week ( doing the hours said in previous post) I do have a FT spec and would like it filled ie to have her for that time at some point. He nodded and as he left I mentioned other enquiry :(

Now that I am not talking about everything in my working history besides childminding to him - I have looked at the rota( six wks in advance) and the last two weeks go from three days to one day to NONE !! So tomorrow when he comes Im trying to word it correctly re payment for his "Days off" cos I know she is in the nursery ! and also whether or not to pursue it further after this week. I have had another enquiry mad hours and shifts but no-one else in the frame. I really like the family but I am slightly fed up on how it seems to always be on their terms and wants. I give my all - cant face another runner really. On the flip side the hours fit in with my course ie have some free time and if he pays when not here at least halfday fees I was thinking it would be worth it. No 07.00am starts for instance. The other enquiry was a 7-3/3-6 rota with a 20month old boy but no nursery in the frame.

Wondering what to do - Im seeing him tomorrow pm....... :o

I have a couple of 'shift' workers....which is the way I've looked at the family in question. And I have a rule where if they are taking an a space...they pay for a space regardless of whether they choose not to use it. Since you can't take on another child to fill that space.

And if they wanted adhoc car (ie only pay for what they use) I would def charge more (50%) more but explain that you will only be able to take the child if no other children came along.

I always explain to parents that they are paying for the space and not necessarily for what they use! it does help to explain that if I didn't charge for the space I would be down income and as much as I love children I am running a business and not a charity.

I hope this helps

I have a couple of 'shift' workers....which is the way I've looked at the family in question. And I have a rule where if they are taking an a space...they pay for a space regardless of whether they choose not to use it. Since you can't take on another child to fill that space.

And if they wanted adhoc car (ie only pay for what they use) I would def charge more (50%) more but explain that you will only be able to take the child if no other children came along.

I always explain to parents that they are paying for the space and not necessarily for what they use! it does help to explain that if I didn't charge for the space I would be down income and as much as I love children I am running a business and not a charity.

I hope this helps

Thanks for this and its more or less the conversation which Ive just had after a no show at lunchtime ( no message either) and apology as I get in from school run and can I come around now ! ? I dont think so I say .... I wont bore you with the details, but this is a new one on me. According to this parent. they dont pay what they dont use at nursery ? They give in the six week rota and if he is off on holiday they dont charge him. I know this is absolute tosh as he gives them " a thousand pounds worth of childcare vouchers " so they are in fact getting paid for the times he doesnt use. He seems to think otherwise and said he hoped that I would be able to do the same except without the vouchers !! They are seriously having a laugh and needless to say when I told him what I couldnt do he went rang off and rang back within FIVE MINUTES to say Oh wont need you now as "my mum is always available- and we thought we could have the best of both worlds ". God I need a drink......

I'm serioulsy wondering why Im bothering - Why do they think we dont need paying?....... So another near miss !! :o

I'm serioulsy wondering why Im bothering - Why do they think we dont need paying?....... So another near miss !! xD

and that, my friend, is sadly how Childminding is still viewed by some parents....something we do for fun and to earn a bit of pocket-money :o

Bless you, you do seem to have had a bit of a run of attracting unusual clients, situations and requests - fingers crossed that you get a nice "normal" (if such a thing exists?!) family soon.

Go and enjoy that big drink!

Nona

and that, my friend, is sadly how Childminding is still viewed by some parents....something we do for fun and to earn a bit of pocket-money :o

Bless you, you do seem to have had a bit of a run of attracting unusual clients, situations and requests - fingers crossed that you get a nice "normal" (if such a thing exists?!) family soon.

Go and enjoy that big drink!

Nona

Thanks Nona, am doing just that right now !! xD

Wow! You've really had the run-around. You've lost nothing here though. You really didn't want all that fuss and manipulation. Their loss. I do find though that little incidents like this clarify in my mind what I really want from my business/life.

As a wise best friend once said, 'Some will, Some won't, So what...NEXT!'.

Honey

I think maybe what this thread proves is that you need a clear idea of your own self-worth as a practitioner and also of the terms and conditions on which you will accept new business. If you are clear about issues such as paying for sessions booked but not taken, your rates for different times of the day and the minimum number of hours you're prepared to care for a child then it is much easier to look dispassionately at whether or not you can meet the parents' needs. In turn this means you won't be so outraged that you're being taken for a ride - you'll just be able to make a straightforward business decision that this relationship isn't going to work and move on.

I think maybe what this thread proves is that you need a clear idea of your own self-worth as a practitioner and also of the terms and conditions on which you will accept new business. If you are clear about issues such as paying for sessions booked but not taken, your rates for different times of the day and the minimum number of hours you're prepared to care for a child then it is much easier to look dispassionately at whether or not you can meet the parents' needs. In turn this means you won't be so outraged that you're being taken for a ride - you'll just be able to make a straightforward business decision that this relationship isn't going to work and move on.

Thanks HappyMaz - sound words and clearly issues I need to address and get on paper. Im so willing to help and a sucker for a sob story. Thats about to change, but Im still stunned he thinks hes getting a freebie from the nursery ! Thanks to you all for being there for me. x

Dear Waveawand, the very next time I get three wishes granted from my fairy godmother I am definitely using one up on finding you a nice uncomplicated family or two. You certainly have had your fill I should think of awkward customers.

Chin up hun, someone nice will come along and appreciate exactly all that you are prepared to do and understand all the things you can't do!

Dear Waveawand, the very next time I get three wishes granted from my fairy godmother I am definitely using one up on finding you a nice uncomplicated family or two. You certainly have had your fill I should think of awkward customers.

Chin up hun, someone nice will come along and appreciate exactly all that you are prepared to do and understand all the things you can't do!

Oh thank you so much Panders, I really needed that. unfortunately its turning into a bad week all around. Just had to post in Primary school issues re my 5yrs. Not happy at the moment so youve really made me feel a little better! x

Ps could you use one of them to get rid of the Headmaster at my kids school ? ....... just a thought :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)