Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Do You Think?

I moved to Reception from Nursery in September - Usually, children come in and its free choice however, some of the children have found it hard to settle and we've had lots of tears. In order to support these children we suggested they get a book and sit quietly for a few minutes, with an adult supporting. After a day or two most of the children came in and chose to sit and look through books - some still got out toys and this was fine, after quickly doing the register, I left the children to do as they wished, some got up to play, others stayed on the carpet looking thru books. The children are now settling well when they come in - most are still going straight for the books. My boss thinks I've organised this and feels its too formal! - The foundation leader contacted me today on my day off to tell me to stop doing this as from Monday! I've had no opportunity to defend my actions and feel a bit miffed - is what I'm doing so wrong? Any opinions gratefully accepted.

If it's the children's choice how can it be wrong? Perhaps they may need to do this for somewhile yet before they are ready to explore further. If an adult is still there supporting them perhaps they could suggest 2 stories and then everyone goes off to find something else to do for a while but if they want another story later that can be arranged.

Firstly :o that you were contacted on your day off like that! Oddly we had the reverse at pre-school. Years ago, we had the children coming in and sitting on the carpet and decided to change to coming in and going straight to play and found we had less settling problems! However, the point is, you evaluated the system and made a change based on teh needs of the children and it has worked. Are the children well aware that there is an option and they don't have to go to the carpet?

Guest ShelleyT

I'm shocked that the Foundation Stage leader has told you to stop without even asking you why it happens. I am a Foundation Stage leader and would never dream of telling my Nursery teacher to stop doing something that works. I know how hard it is to settle children at this stage of the year and if the children are happy to look at books then that is great. I think you should go back and stand up for yourself. x

I agree with others, that there is a way to go about things and contacting you on your day off wouldn't be my first choice!

Much depends on how 'formal' what is happening looks..if it looks like you have set up the coming in like that, then I can understand why the FS leader has passed comment (even though not in the right way). Just to give an alternative perspective, when I was FS leader, we had a structure in the nursery that worked incredibly well, and was rooted in a way we wanted our ethos to be, and my NQT with no previous experience went in and changed everything without a word to me..yes I have to say I was miffed. (just another perspective on how things can look and feel from the other person's viewpoint).

We had always had the free play first thing and we had it for a reason, the NQT changed it to a sitting down formal register followed by phonics, which then left the parents outside (parents quickly went from staying, doing an activity with their child, chatting, etc, to leaving child and walking out..quite the opposite of what we had worked hard for years to achieve). She didn't quite 'get' why I didn't like or agree with her decision despite the fact that yes it was her class, it just didn't fit with the the ethos we had spent years building. Sadly for me at the time, the Head liked the parents out rather than in, and said she never understood why we let parents stay at the beginning of the session...it was a debate I didn't win! Slowly over that year the whole ethos of the FS shifted from an open welcoming one to a parents 'leave the child at the door and make an appointment...mentality..I hated it.

I know your circumstances will be different, and that your children don't have to sit on the carpet first thing, but it may be that they have come to think of it that way, and that's why it appears to be more formal (even the parents might be thinking that's what should happen and therefore 'take' them to the carpet first thing).

The best thing to do, is have a chat with your FS leader next week. Explain that you would have preferred her to approach you at work to discuss it, and then the reasons why you are doing this. She can then also explain her reason for not liking it and hopefully you can gain some sort of compromise.

Hope that all makes sense!

If the children are choosing to come in and pick books and in a bid to appease the powers that be, could you enhance the environment in which the children are reading the books.....put them in the den/role play area? Or would it be suitable in your setting to provide a type of treasure box that relates to a set of books laid out on a table, or have some books with the cars or a basket of mark making equipment next to it?

I know that this may not help you feel better about the way that the subject was approached but it may help to smooth things out with your boss? Apologies if this is what already happens :o

Good Luck Nicky XXX

Edited by nickylear

I moved to Reception from Nursery in September - Usually, children come in and its free choice however, some of the children have found it hard to settle and we've had lots of tears. In order to support these children we suggested they get a book and sit quietly for a few minutes, with an adult supporting. After a day or two most of the children came in and chose to sit and look through books - some still got out toys and this was fine, after quickly doing the register, I left the children to do as they wished, some got up to play, others stayed on the carpet looking thru books. The children are now settling well when they come in - most are still going straight for the books. My boss thinks I've organised this and feels its too formal! - The foundation leader contacted me today on my day off to tell me to stop doing this as from Monday! I've had no opportunity to defend my actions and feel a bit miffed - is what I'm doing so wrong? Any opinions gratefully accepted.

Why dont you ask the children? Get together some piccies of activities and then ask them what they like to do when they come in.......then they could say stick their piccie on the one they like doing best...then when "those who must be obeyed" enter tyour domain and start casting doubts on whether this is a children's choice....you can show them your research...your straw poll of your children....surely they cannot argue with that. I work in pre-school and we often find that the small tots head straight for the book corner when they come in its full of cushions and has a fluffy rug in there....and surprisingly some very small children do find the book corner a comfort zone...

Thank you for all of your replies - I'm working on putting your ideas into practice!

Edited by Iusedtobeabox

I was just wondering how things were going with this issue as I find it very interesting. Are the children still coming in and looking at the books?

It was def wrong that you were contacted in that way and on your day off but it is best to try and talk to your fs leader about it and explain but also get an explanation from her. Also talk to the children and see what they want to do, I like the picture idea, or you could use a peg system (they have a name on a peg and put in on the sign of the area they would like to go to in the morning).

My chn currently sit and look through books etc in the morning and are settled this way, it def depends on the dynamics of the class and can easily change throughout the year!!

Good luck

x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)