Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How To You Get Children To Respond?

Guest terrydoo73

Guest terrydoo73

We do a story and rhyme time at the end of our session every day. Unfortunately, probably due to a lack of confidence one of our children does not participate and just watches. I have no problem with this but I would really love to help work on her and encourage her to join in. Any tactics I could use? We do use lots of actions when saying the rhymes and can see children doing these even though haven't got the words completely. We repeat the 4 rhymes over a 4 week period and then they will get used to them - at the moment our rhymes our Incy Winsy Spider, Row Row Row your boat, The Wheels on the Bus and Peter Hammer has one hammer. Perhaps I could use a book of some sort???

I think sometimes that it best to allow them time to sit and watch and eventually they will build thier own confidence up and join in. You could try asking her which song she would like to sing? or encouraging everyone to sing rather than singleing her out as this may make her feel less confident.

leave her to learn though listening watching and enjoying the others...

don't single her out, make it conspicuous or do anything which could stop her even enjoying the session...

when ready she may join in... but not all children do.

had one who didn't join in at all for the whole time she was with us... but would recite and repeat it all at home... only found out as mum commented and asked the words for one of our raps ...

what you see as helping her join in may end up with her not enjoying it at all and backing off even more...

She could be bored of the ones you have chosen to do.. does seem a long time for concentrating on one song.. I assume you do them with others and not just those over this time.. we just had a song bag and they each had a turn taking an item where we would all sing that song...and usually put items in the bag which went with the children's interests.. plus the daily favourites... ( i miss the greedy crocodile , green frog which says glub, and monkeys in a tree sometimes)

perhaps try a including more active session of songs which have dance or whole body movements and music ..

Edited by Inge

Guest terrydoo73
leave her to learn though listening watching and enjoying the others...

don't single her out, make it conspicuous or do anything which could stop her even enjoying the session...

when ready she may join in... but not all children do.

had one who didn't join in at all for the whole time she was with us... but would recite and repeat it all at home... only found out as mum commented and asked the words for one of our raps ...

what you see as helping her join in may end up with her not enjoying it at all and backing off even more...

She could be bored of the ones you have chosen to do.. does seem a long time for concentrating on one song.. I assume you do them with others and not just those over this time.. we just had a song bag and they each had a turn taking an item where we would all sing that song...and usually put items in the bag which went with the children's interests.. plus the daily favourites... ( i miss the greedy crocodile , green frog which says glub, and monkeys in a tree sometimes)

perhaps try a including more active session of songs which have dance or whole body movements and music ..

We have only been back 2 weeks and have new children joining each week as we are working with a phased intake so last week we had 5 (supposed to be 6 but one has a broken leg!) and then 3 more joined this week. We only have used the song bag for about 3 days - it is a song bag with objects in it and as the year progresses we will add more songs and objects so that the children can choose themselves but felt 4 were enough to get started with until everyone is settled in. This child was with us during May and June as she just turned 3. It is only for 10 minutes maximum with a story following our rhymes - the children choose a story and if they prefer it to be read to them by an adult or just read by themselves.

I wouldnt worry about her joining in so long as she watches and listens she's probably taking it all in. I hated being the center of ttention when I was little, I even sat under the table at my own birthday party so I didnt have to see people singing happy birthday to me.

I've changed loads since then, but I cant possible go into that here :o

Great advice already........I certainly wouldn't 'push' her or 'single her out'........sure that she will join in in her own good time.....she probably goes home and sings all of the songs with great enthusiasm! xD

I do think that you are really limting your song choice though :( I don't limit our songs at all - or particularly think about 'teaching' them - I just see them as a great source of enjoyment! :(

Off the top of my head - today's 'songs' have included... a little girl singing 1,2,3,4,5 Once I caught a Fish Alive to me in the book corner (her idea!)......some action songs before snack.....'Noisy neighbours', Dingle-dangle Scarecrow and Build a House.......and at end of session - 'On My Face I have a nose', Heads, Shoulders, Knees and Toes........and using our 'best voices' Twinkle, Twinkle'.........

Who knows what will sing tomorrow - certainly not me! :o

which is what I tried to say but put so much better...

we used to have up to 15+ new ones starting in a week and never limited our songs... some would know them others not, but it was a fun thing and always different..

re reading , must say the songs you have chosen are also ones they may already know.. another reason for the not joining in.. its not new and exciting enough..

we also used to try to find a song related to the story each day when we could... not always possible but most of the time we could..

think about how they should be a fun thing, try puppets with them, vary them a lot.. there are so many lovely songs out there to enjoy... (we had one member of staff who knew all the TV songs as well.. they loved singing to bob the builder and others with her)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)