Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advice Needed Please

Glen

hi

I am seeking advice.

We have a child in our setting who will be 4 in November.

He is dry but still continues to soil his pants.

Two days into the new term and it has happened on both days so far.

we have tried the usual, stickers, rewards, reminding him regualrly.

i have just about run out of encouraging advice for his mum who understandibly is very worried.

He has used the toilet at home, but there are still accidents.

He says all the right things " I will poo on the toilet next time"

He doesn't seem to be upset or worried about going to the loo, or after he has had an accident

This afternoon I did suggest she talks to the health visitor, but I also said I would ask you good people, because I feel that one small change could crack this but have run out of ideas myself.

I forgot to say that this has been going on since May

Thanks in advance

glen

Hi Glen, does he have a 'poo routine' - does he generally 'go' at round about the same time? I had a little boy who was just the same last year and we worked out that he would 'go' after running about outside, so we 'clocked him on' with a book on his knee for a few minutes when we came in and it worked perfectly. Another boy always 'went' straight after lunch, so we sat him on straight after toothbrushing.

I had a child in my reception class last year he was dry but on and off had soiling accident

i advise her to go to the incontinence nurse, which she did and they gave mum loads of tips and advice to help at home.

At school we just kept checking and reminding him to go to the toilet, priasing ect when he did and we also kept a log book of accidents .

at the end of the year we had it cracked untill he had a move up morning to year 1 and it started again finially we worked out that it was stress and anxiety that triggered it. start of reception/ grandma dying at christmas and them moving to year 1. I don't know if that is the case with your child but i would def tell mum to go the incontienence nurse they are very helpful.

Thank you so much for your prompt replies.

Yes i will keep an eye on the timings, although there is no pattern I can identify.

I will suggest she speaks to the incontinence nurse

thanks again

glen

Guest pamgreen

i think the health visitor / doctor is the best idea, sometimes children can be constipated and because they strain they can get a small cut or fissure around their anus which then becomes extremely sore, which then can lead to a child trying to prevent themselves from having their bowels open, which leads to incontinence. So it would be a good idea to get him checked out. If all is OK medically then I am sure the incontinence nurse will help.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)