Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Temporary Pre-schoolers

Evening,

We have two Canadian brothers taking up places at Pre-school just from Autumn to Christmas whilst they are in the country for 6 months. One of them is already 4 so should really be starting school but he will not be starting school in the US until the following year(when he is 6) and will be returning to his 'kindergarten' in January.

Should we still be going to the trouble of setting up and completing learning journals for these 2 morning a week temporary children? Seems such a waste of time recording 'development matters' levels as it will be meaningless back in the US system. The parents are not expecting any formal recording which begs the question 'who are we doing it for?'.

It would be nice to make scrapbooks though, so they can remember their time with you. I'd still do some observations probably, but I'd possibly not tie them to EYFS statements? depending on how I felt. They (in the US) might be interested to see how things are done here too

I agree, it would be nice for them to take away a scrap of their time with you. photos of activities they have enjoyed and little captions. you might even add a photo of the class if your aloud.

Welcome to the Forum flairy, and congratulations on making your first post - always good to meet another night owl! :o

We had a brother and sister who came for what turned out to be a very short period of time. I just made them one of our special books containing lots of photographs of what they had done whilst with us. Their parents loved it, needless to say!

We had a child join us in May this year and left for school in July (new to the area and we had 2 odd spaces as a child had left early to go home to the far east until September)

We did a learning journey with lots of photos etc and child and parents were delighted.

We did do some obs to enable us to record progress and write an accurate transition report.

In your shoes with a child not going on to school in the UK I would be tempted to stick to the learning journey but would also write a 'general report' to pass on to the school not related to the development matters but see no harm in writing a few lines under the six areas of learning

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)