Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parent Leaflet

I am planning on doing some leaflets for parents on ideas for playing with their children at home

I have thought of

water play

playdough

cooking

big boxes

visits to the park

singing and dancing

Has anyone done any leaflets like this that can help

I have already done a forum search but cant find what I want!

thanks

Jo

I've just had some leaflets come from early education after someone posted about them a couple of days ago. I havent really looked at them but they seem a good starting place if nothing else. You just pay for postage.

leaflets

Hi,

We have some on the EYPS forum, but I'm happy to post one here for you to have! You can add our logo to the front page of the leaflet and adjust the text accordingly. It'll give you a framework to maybe make your own for the other topics you'd like to cover :o

Out_and_About_leaflet_.doc

Thanks Helen, I didnt actually read it as you meant it....

I was actually awake from 3-4 this morning and put together a double sided page. One of my parents (with EAL) said to be that she didnt know what to play with her child so I wanted to produce something simple.

I have (hopefully) attached a copy and welcome comments

thanks

jo

Playing_Together.docx

Thanks Helen, I didnt actually read it as you meant it....

I was actually awake from 3-4 this morning and put together a double sided page. One of my parents (with EAL) said to be that she didnt know what to play with her child so I wanted to produce something simple.

I have (hopefully) attached a copy and welcome comments

thanks

jo

Playing_Together.docx

That is really nice :-) The things we do at 3am!

thanks Clare

Wide awake with husband snoring next to me and I had lots of ideas going around my head so I thought I may as well get up and do something useful!!!

This is a lovely idea, but it would be good to see things on there that parents don't normally do. I am taking my practitioner hat off and pretending to be my mum, who is a great mother but no EY training. She did all that with us, she woudl have been a bit patronised by the leaflet. She might have liked to hear about discovery bottles though.

Lots of Mums don't know these things though lolo. I've often had a parent say something like 'where do you get your ideas from?' when all we've done is thread pasta or something. To you and me they seem basic, but to others they aren't, and sometimes it's nice to know that what you are doing is right, and not 'silly'

Hi lolo

I did this leaflet with a specific parent in mind who said she didnt know how to play, when I mentioned cooking and water play it was like she hadnt thought about these things.

And sometimes it is useful to point out the great educational work parents do with their children when they 'just play'. Parents do lots of things automatically with their children because they enjoy it, and without thinking they are teaching their children. It can be very empowering for parents to know that the simple ordinary things they do everyday with their children are promoting their children's learning and development.

I think it is about knowing the parent and knowing what sort of information to offer them.

• 2 months later...
And sometimes it is useful to point out the great educational work parents do with their children when they 'just play'. Parents do lots of things automatically with their children because they enjoy it, and without thinking they are teaching their children. It can be very empowering for parents to know that the simple ordinary things they do everyday with their children are promoting their children's learning and development.

I think it is about knowing the parent and knowing what sort of information to offer them.

Thank you so much for this, the leaflet is great, and I would also love to use it in my setting along with the Playing Together sheets. Its good to reassure parents that they are on the right tracks and that our combined efforts are helping their child to progress. I have had a Prioritisation visit today and this was a topic that was emphaised, parents often worry too much that their children are not "progressing" or that they should be "learning" when they are actually gaining so much through this gentle education and learning through their play.

Thank you once again.

I think the playing together leaflet is a lovely idea, and you are right that some parents just don't know about,what we think of, as basic parenting. Last week I had a conversation with a parent who was telling me that her son was really difficult after preschool as he seemed to have lots of energy and was being a whirlwind in their flat when he got home. I tentatively suggested that, as she walked past the park every day on her way home, that she could, prehaps pop in and let him run off a bit of steam before going home. I felt I was stating the obvious and was being, maybe, a bit patronising, she, however gave me a hug and said that it was a brilliant idea and that she was so glad she mentioned it to me.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)