Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Osted Tomorrow Urgent Advice For Interview!

Hi folks, we have just this evening had our briefing about our ofsted tomorrow and Wednesday. I will be interviewed by one of the inspectors as I am Foundation Stage leader (never done this before so am bricking it!) Apparently I will have to justify why my children have only made 'satisfactory progress' because they have only moved from 30-50 months 40-60 months. I don't get it! where else could they go? am I being thick? My children have made a minimum of 4.5 points progress in every area and as much as 6 in a couple of areas. Most of our intake came in at less than point 2 on the profile so they were unlikely to achieve 8s or 9s at the end of the year although a couple have in certain areas. Your thoughts or experience would be very much appreciated!

Deb

Surely satisfactory means just that - they have made enough progress.

Also, it seems they are all operating within normal development, you are resepcting the unique child and not measuring them against some ideal.

Good in outcomes means all children make good progress from their relative starting points. Attainment may not be overly high but progress can be good. It's how the more vulnerable groups compare that can swing it.

Break down your vulnerable groups data and look at the attainment gaps between them -for example:

how well are the boys doing vs the girls. Are they making better progress even if they are below the girls over the last 3 years?

How well do your EMA groups achieve vs the rest

How well do FSM do vs the rest

How well do summer born children do..etc.

Look at the relative starting points for these groups in comparison to the overall average. Is their progress accelerated - ie good in comparison?

Moving from 30 - 50 - secure 40 - 60+ is the expected minimum. You might need to demonstrate that ALL children are attaining the same but rates of progress are different for those groups given where they started.

What % attain 78+ points including 6+ for all 7 PSED/CLLD scales. The national last year was 56%. Are you above or below that?

If you have a nursery your on entry data back from nursery should be considered as it is progress within the phase not just your class you will need to be able to discuss. Were the children entering nursery at secure 22 - 36/emerging 30 - 50 or were they below expectations in which case they may have made good progress in fact.

Scoring 2 or 3 points on entry would be indicative of a child working just below the ELGs in the securing 30 - 50 band. children with 1 point I would say are below expectations on entry as this point used to relate to the yellow stepping stone and as such is more linked to emerging 30 - 50.

What is your 3 year trend? Are outcomes improving over time? what have you done to improve them as leader?

What is your vision? where do you want to take the EYFS next? What will you need to do to get there?

Read the Ofsted schedule and that will tell you what they are looking for. I'll see if I can link the post I put it in the other day.........

http://www.foundation-stage.info/forums/in...c=30018&hl=

Cx

Edited by catma

Thanks catma just what I needed!

what's EMA groups by the way? (the brain is puddled after a long weekend at school)

I have only been in FS since september so a lot of this data analysis is new to me. My Head has graded the Foundation stage (just my class) as good across the board (which is up from the previous ofsted) It just seems to be the question of this satisfactory progress thing that is the issue.

Thanks for your help

Deb

Ethnic minority achievement - ie ethnic minority groups. It's a short hand we use in my LA!

I also forgot EAL children vs the rest.

Do you have last years data analysis - your LA should provide something annually. That would have comparative data and possibly trend data in it.

I would be looking also at the 5 who are attaining 6+ in all the multiple scale areas PSED/CLLD/PSRN. Is the attainment even within aspects of the 6 areas?

You can take in notes and your files but a good tip is to have labelled tabs on things so you can go straight to them rather than flicking which is easy when nervous!! It's not a memory test! Know what you want them to know about your work - what have you targeted this year for example and can you demonstrate impact of that focused quality improvement - summer born outcomes or boys writing or whatever. What difference have you made to the overall attainment picture??

Good luck!!

Cx

thanks you're a star!

that's why I didn't know EMA because we havn't got any! or EAL for that matter.

many thanks for your help

DebX

I would be looking also at the 5 who are attaining 6+ in all the multiple scale areas PSED/CLLD/PSRN. Is the attainment even within aspects of the 6 areas?

That should have read the % of children - there's usually more than 5!!

Hope Ofsted OK!

Hi all just to let you know we did really well. I know I'm not supposed to say until the report comes out but since none of you know my school I think it's safe! Our last inspction in 2007 graded us satisfactory overall with some good and outstanding points. We have been graded good overall with the new framework (and new goalposts!) Foundation stage was graded solidly good with some outstanding points which I am thrilled about as foundation stage was previously satisfactory and I've only been in post since september. We had many outstanding areas and had we had 1 more would have been outstanding overall. A lot of this is down to our fantastic head who has only been in post since September-she is determined to get us to outstanding and I've no doubt she will.

We are all on our knees having worked all weekend and pretty much 12 hour days since last Friday when we had the phonecall so today we're like zombies.

Champage after school tomorrow to celebrate!

Thanks for your support everyone

debX

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)