Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ever So Lonely!

Hi all

Well I am the chair of the committee of my out of school club. Starting to feel like Im doing things all by myself.....have no issue with treasurer (lots on), secretary (does a fair bit) and then there are the rest. They just come to meetings, give their opinions and seem to do little else.

At the moment we are trying to sort out visitors/workshops for the holiday club ie football coaching, dance etc etc. Have emailed if we can all look into it, twice...no reply from anyone..this was discussed at the meeting 2 weeks ago. I am doing it. I have emailed one new member (well she isnt really but we are re-submitting all her details to OFSTED as they were lost last year and she has never been registered on the committee) about whether she has her CRB forms back from OFSTED etc so that we can return asap. Have done this 3 times. The last time i added a read receipt and i know she opened it. She has missed the last 2 meetings. I have told the rest of the committee of an incident that happened at the start of the week...nothing.....not even a thanks got your message...have dealt with a parent complaint, just found out we are not registered with environmental health so had to sort that out, having to advertise for staff to cover maternity leave, have staff turning in late etc etc...so feeling a bit unsupported really.

Just wonder if I sent a mail round saying im thinking of resigning would this get a response???

Does any other chair have this issue? Any ideas how I can get the rest of th committee to be more active in their involvment? I know they will say that they are working, pregnant, etc etc but arent we all (excpet the pregnant thing!)

Edited by marley

Oh dear! My hat goes off to you Marley - you are always so positive and yet you have been through more than your fair share of traumas and troubles with this after school club. I would definitely send an email. Perhaps you could outline all the questions you have outstanding, all the things you've dealt with on your own in the last few weeks and then explaining that if you don't get more support you'll be resigning at the end of term.

Alternatively, you could just stay at home at the next committee meeting and if someone rings you to ask why you're not there, you could brightly say "oh didn't you see my email? I resigned last month!".

Or would that be too cruel? :o

Good luck with getting some more support - they'd be lost without you and your expertise.

I am a committee member on my children's school's PTA and I am always surprised at how little I am delegated to do while the 'Chair' always seems to be running around saying how much she has to do. Can you tell I'm just a bit put out, given my obvious talent for organising things and mucking in?

I'm sure it's not the case in your place, but it may be worth checking out that everyone actually knows what is expected of them and that names are put on actions in the minutes so every one knows who to blame.

Very best of luck,

Honey

Oh Marley here we go again, you are constantly striving to do all you can for this group and yet it appears to go unnoticed. Although it would be cruel to not turn up for the next meeting, i agree with Maz that maybe this is the shock they need.

Definetly agree with Honeypancakes to always have who is named to action the decisions made at your meetings.

The rest of the Committee also need to know that a Chair in essence is there to oversee all meetings not to do all the work themselves.

:o

Oh Marley, every point in your post had me nodding my head 'yep, here too'.

To be fair I am really bad at delegating, but its a self presavation instinct, I know what to do and can do it in half the time and with no hassle. Quicker and simpler than having to expalin the whys and wherefores.

I also dont have emails read or responded to and some people who joined at the AGM havent been seen since.

Go on, send that email and let us know the response. Dare, dare, double dare ya!!

Oh Marley, every point in your post had me nodding my head 'yep, here too'.

To be fair I am really bad at delegating, but its a self presavation instinct, I know what to do and can do it in half the time and with no hassle. Quicker and simpler than having to expalin the whys and wherefores.

Yes think this is my situation too. Would like to delgate some tasks at the committee meeting but they arent there at the meeting to delegate to! Lat time only just made our quorum.

Think the staff are also getting to me...petty issues are being brought to me. eg manager says she cant order staples from our county supplies...hhmmmm such a difficult one that eh??? We have an account at our local shop that sells stationary!!!! :o

Perhaps the committee are fed up of getting emails from me and just switch off???!The next thing i will be accused of is doing things in the name of the committee without conferring with them xD

Think I may put this issue on the agenda of the next meeting (if I go!!!!)

Edited by marley

I agree with honey and bridger, delegate!!

And I'd get a flip chart out and write exactly what jobs people are supposed to be doing then get it out again at the next meeting and go through the list asking each person how they got on. That way if they've not done it, everyone knows about it! I bet they'll all do their jobs next time! And if anyone isn't at the meeting, give them a job anyway and phone them and tell them so they can't say they didn't get the email. And make it the worst job on the list to make sure they don't miss another meeting!!

You've got to get tough with them! If they're going to act like naughty children then that's how you need to treat them!

Good luck marley, I hope it all works out for you xxx

ok do what I did - draw up a list of tasks and put the names of who has offered to take something on - if they do not sign up make it clear that you will designate a role if they do not take something on board!!

It worked for me and they rushed to sign up to something they wanted to do! Those who only paid lip service to being on the committee finally left and that allowed others who wanted to participat to come on board.

Good luck

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)