Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pre-school Staff

Hi,

Would just like your advice on this.

I am opening a pre-school in September. I will be qualified to a level 5. Am I covering the EYFS requirements if I have a level 2 worker who is studying for level 3 and a unqualified who is working towards a level 2 as well as myself or do I need someone who is already a level 3?

I know I should probably know this, but my mind seems to have gone blank!!!

That should be fine as you need 1 member of staff always present with level 3 or above (that's you) then 50% of remaining staff must hold level 2 and as you have 2 remaining staff and 1 has a level 2 that should also cover you.

Kris

Hi klc106. You will need to think about how you will manage if either you or your level 2 are not there eg holidays, illness, training, family emergencies etc, as you will not be covered in this case. I don't think you can rely on one level 3+ in a setting because your deputy must be able to cover in your absence.

Definetly agree with Mundia and Hali, doesn't allow for any of the above or in the event of an emergency at your setting, if one person had to take a child to hospital you would not have enough left.

Good luck with your new Pre-school in September. :o

• 2 months later...

HI,

I have got a level 3 who is available to cover for any absences etc. but cannot afford to pay to employ her full time. Is a level 2 who is

training towards a level 3 allowed to take children to hospital or does it have to be level 3?

Thanks x