Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Training To Inspect?

How far would you be prepared to drive? Our inspector had come up to Kent from Sussex :o a good 1 hour 30 min. drive......

Oh I don't know that I actually want to do any actual inspections, sunnyday! xD

yes it was the 'self employed' that put me off applying xD

But then I'm self-employed already!

I think £200 for a day's inspection is incredibly cheap, given that you need to find your own travelling expenses (you could be sent anywhere in SE England), and your own laptop. However, I am intrigued to see what the training itself is like. I imagine you would learn all sorts of transferrable skills... :o Might be an expensive way of finding out what Mrs Ofsted is looking for, though!

Sorry I deleted as I had a telephone conversation with Tribal that stated what some of you have - your not guaranteed work - 250£ for training and inspections in Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire, London and Bucks - I'm in the South West - it would cost me a fortune in diesel!! So I had a change of heart - I'm very fed up at the moment - same old managers problems for a pittance of pay - so disheartening when I work sooooo hard to maintain my Outstanding standards - not in a good place! :o

Was that £250 for the whole course or £250 a day Shirel?

Edit to say I just had a quick check, and it is £250 for the five days' training - I really thought it was £250 for each day! Sometimes I really wonder about myself! :o

A friend of mine was fortunate enough to persuade her employer to release her for the training and she now does inspections once a week and manages the nursery the rest of the week. For her it was for the challenge but it has definitely helped keep the nursery on their toes about what Ofsted are looking for as the transferable skills and knowledge are invaluable. Unfortunately I can't drive so I don't feel it is a viable new career for me.

I wonder if you can do the training without having to commit to doing any inspections?

Does anyone know the answer? If that is the case then £250 for 5 days training to get an insight into the mind of OFSTED would be worth it!!

Just emailed Tribal and they say the following;

Thanks for your email. The training that we are running at the moment is specifically for those wishing to inspect afterwards and it is expected that everyone will be put forward for sign off as an inspector with HMI after the training.

We will be running Inspection Skills Training CPD for some Local Authorities later in the year.

Hope this helps!

so playing devils advocate what happens if you do the training with the full intention of becoming an inspector and then 'life' gets in the way and you decide not to work at all??

or there could be a genuine change of heart after completing the training????

or there could be a genuine change of heart after completing the training????

Well yes, I must admit I'm keen to know what level of training inspectors need to undergo, and how they assess competency!

Following this thread with some degree of interest - not because I want to become an Inspector, just curious. Can anyone tell me what starting level of qualification you need to have prior to embarking on the training to become an Inspector?

Can anyone tell me what starting level of qualification you need to have prior to embarking on the training to become an Inspector?

You need a childcare related degree.

You need a childcare related degree.

Oh right - at last they are recognising the benefits of those with the experience and suitable qualifications.

• 2 weeks later...