Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help!

The school at which I am covering the Manager of the Nursery's maternity...got the call on Friday. Ofsted are coming tomorrow and wednesday and I am (today) 4 days into the job.....Aaaaaahhhhh!!! :o

I thought the team were behind me but overheard someone 'sl***ing' me off today behind my (sore) back. Which hasn't helped my confidence for tomorrow. I don't even know where to start...as well as Manager I am also a member of staff, in that I am keyworker to 12 children and haven't yet done more than a couple of wows..on a couple of children and looked at their overview sheets!!! I've been too busy!

What should I expect to be asked, I have read and signed ALL the policies and procedures and done A LOT of tidying up today. The place looks welcoming, the displays are good and there is loads of planning from the children...it is generallly a very child-led setting.

Any other tips much appreciated.

Oh and I pulled my back today: we have twin 2.9m boys who are very young and come from a 'Toddler' room at day nursery where they were enclosed and could have a sleep and had only age appropriate toys into us a school pre-school and they just cause chaos every time they're in!! I tried to lead one by the hand and they just DROP on you and he pulled so hard I am in pain

Sorry wingeing over...at least it'll be done and dusted and can spend the rest of my time there implimenting their recommendations!

Hi Lucie - oh poor you!

I'm sure that your Inspector will understand that you have only been in post for 4 days.

We were inspected last week and I have to say our Inspector was 'human' and I'm sure yours will be too!

Is your SEF up-to-date and are you familiar with it? I have the feeling (although our report is not in yet) that our report will be very much 'lifted' from our SEF.

Sending you lots of positive vibes........don't forget to come back and let us know how it went! :o

I'm confused - is it a nursery class in a school - are you the cover for the EYFS coordinator? Or is it registered provision on the school site. The school would be having a section 5 inspection but this isn't the framework for other EYFS providers.

In either case just do what you would do normally!! What records has the person you are covering for left??

Cx

Hi Lucie - oh poor you!

I'm sure that your Inspector will understand that you have only been in post for 4 days.

We were inspected last week and I have to say our Inspector was 'human' and I'm sure yours will be too!

Is your SEF up-to-date and are you familiar with it? I have the feeling (although our report is not in yet) that our report will be very much 'lifted' from our SEF.

Sending you lots of positive vibes........don't forget to come back and let us know how it went! :o

Well...the previous manager popped in today and she thinks it is but it seems to just have photos...is that adequate????

Not that I can do a lot though if it's not!!!

This is also my 1st post as a manager on anything like this scale...I did run a very small pack-away but sometimes we only had 6 children. Now I have 25 each session!

Thanks for vibes, prayers etc everyone x

You will be fine.

Get your staff bouyed up, and be enthusiastic. Ofsted is not a trick, it is affirmation that you ae a competent practitioner with a capable staff, running a lovely setting.

Get to know the SEF and have some ideas of how you might move forward.

And with the overheard conversation, just ignore it. Everyone likes a bit of a winge now and then. Hurtful when it is about you, but you are the leader, not the favourite member of staff.

Best of luck. I had Ofsted on day 5 as a childminder.

I'm confused - is it a nursery class in a school - are you the cover for the EYFS coordinator? Or is it registered provision on the school site. The school would be having a section 5 inspection but this isn't the framework for other EYFS providers.

In either case just do what you would do normally!! What records has the person you are covering for left??

Cx

We are inspected WITH the school. It is a preschool essentially and not a direct 'feeder' into Reception...yet. It used to be entirely seperate and about a year ago was amalgamated with the school and now has a committee of the Head and governors/ parents. The last inspection was as a nursery.

The Head would like it to be Foundation Stage unit at some point I think, I do do some cross-planning and the Reception teacher is my line-manager.

To be honest Lucy I'd ask them to come back in a few months - you've only been in the job 4 days!

Wish that was an option but as they come to do the school...it won't be!!

On the time table they haven't scheduled any time to speak to me alone..they will direct some of it to the Reception teacher and some to my staff and me togther

If the EYFS lead is the overall line manager then I would imagine she will be the person Ofsted would talk to most? Within the section 5 the Ofsted will be focused on overall outcomes of the children right through to reception as well a provision/leadership and management. Just be able to demonstrate your systems and be particularly clear about the welfare requirements and how you meet them. Maybe you can have your line manager with you if Ofsted do want to meet you separately?

Cx

Just want to send big hugs, stay calm, do what you do best each and everyday, and if in doubt explain that you have only been in post a short time and you will go and find out.

Ofsted are humans too, be honest and i'm sure you will be fine.

Just out of interest are they due or overdue :o