Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interview For Foundation Degree

Hi

After applying back in February finally had a letter yesterday inviting me along for an interview on Tuesday! All I have been asked is to bring along proof of ID and my certificates (haven't been given any tasks or anything), the letter says to allow 2 hours for the interview!!

ANyone any ideas on how to prepare, what I may be asked! 2 hours seems quite daunting at the mo!

Kris

From memory, kristina my interview was just about what my career had been all about up til then, and a lot about what my attitudes and aspirations were. I don't remember a task - although for my top up/degree I seem to remember being asked to write a reply to a letter that had recently been published in nursery world!

I wouldn't worry about it too much - if there was going to be a really difficult task they would have given you time to prepare. My guess is that they'll want to make sure you are made of the right stuff and can cope with study at degree level. So there might be some kind of free writing exercise to identify if you have any study skills needs. This might be why they're asking you to allow two hours - so there's time for the interview bit and time for you to do the writing bit. Of course I could be completely wrong... :o

Good luck - let us know how you get on!

Hi

I had an interview at Pen Green last year for the Foundation Degree.

Two hours does seem a bit excessive. I was asked about my background and what I want to achieve from the degree, all pretty straightforward stuff.

We were also asked to do a small essay. Just trying to remember back to what it was. Maybe about something that you had changed in the setting. It wasn't too daunting and there was no right or wrong way to do it. I think they were basically looking at your educational standard.

Hope it goes well

Dont worry, it will be fine

Mine was 3 years ago now :o (how time flies when you're doing assignments after work!)

It was a fairly informal chat with the course leader and tutor about my experience to date and aspirations for the future, they let me know there and then that I was being offered a place. They then sent me off to sit my Functional Skills tests - computer based maths and english competency tests, which took about 45 minutes each.

Good Luck! Let us know how you get on, please.

Nona

I do have one more quick question!! I have to take a letter from supervisor/line manager stating hours worked and agreement to support etc. As I own and manage the Pre-School I don't have a supervisor or line manager so do you think I should just take proof of ownership?

Kris

I was in your position Kris, and I'm sure I didn't take along any proof of ownership! I think I'd email them to ask what evidence they'd like - they may want to know that you actually work with the children and aren't the kind of owner who manages remotely. Speaking from experience, I'd say that meeting the required number of hours per week 'in practice' with children in the EYFS is absolutely crucial, so I'm glad to hear that your uni is checking that out.

Well I've been and have been told I will know by the Thursday so fingers crossed!!

Have to say it was a bit strange! I had a half hour literacy test on a pc and then was given half an hour to write an essay on either 'Why speed cameras save life' or 'why dogs shouldn't be allowed in open spaces'! :o

Not quite sure how that went as completely unexpected. Then a quick interview where I wasn't asked about my experience, why I wanted to do the degree or anything! They just explained what was involved, so all in all a bit strange!

Will let you all know the answer on the 6th!

Kris

Fingers crossed! It's strange how differently each Uni approaches interviews (and indeed the FD :o )

Nona

How bizarre!

I rang the college and asked about the FD. I was told the start date and how to apply for funding and that was it.

I'm glad I didn't have to jump through these hoops!

Don't talk to me about the funding!! I have completed a 38 page form on line today as I am trying to get funding based on household income! I completed it all and hit submit thinking that was it, and now they want me to provide proof of just about everything that is on the form including both my daughters original birth certificates!!

Kris

Congratulations!

I'm sure you'll enjoy it even through the panic attacks and sleepless nights before assignment deadlines.... I sat my exam for the 3rd and final year of my FD this morning and can still say I'm glad I've done it :o

and remember... there's always someone here with words of advice, hints and tips, reassurance and support when the going gets tough! I'm sure I'm not the only one who's found it invaluable!?

Nona

When I had my interview I had to do an essay on exactly the same topics !!! I thought they were very strange, I chose the speed camera one and wrote an absolute load of rubbish! ha x

When I had my interview I had to do an essay on exactly the same topics !!! I thought they were very strange, I chose the speed camera one and wrote an absolute load of rubbish! ha x

I chose the dog one and just waffled!! :o

I've also been told I have to find a mentor, just out of interest what's involved for the mentor? Just want to make sure I know what I'm asking of someone!!

Kris

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)