Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Wages

is it possible for some of you to tell me what rates you pay your staff? (pre-school sessional care) i'm looking for rates for assistants really but would also be interested for deputy and manager..just need to make sure we are in the right ballpark as a recent piece in a journal would suggest we are rather low! :o

We are an extended day pre-school - private setting on the South Coast

Early Years Practitioner £7.33 ph

Senior EY Practitioner £7.75

Deputy £8.17

Manager/EYP nominal rate of £10.50 if I am ever fortunate enough to employ someone else to do that role!

Hope that helps

Wish we could even afford that!

Assistant - £6.55

Deputy - £7.05

Manager - £7.50

We are a small, rural sessional pre-school.

I was just thinking the same and they complain

And rightly so! When you think of the rates of pay described here, and how much you might expect to be paid for ironing people's shirts... :o None of us are in this business for the pay, are we? Ultimately we'd all like to be able to pay our staff a lot more than we can afford, but I guess that is another story!

£6 per hour here for a childminding assistant. She is brilliant and more qualified than I am but I can't afford more unfortunately.

£6 per hour here for a childminding assistant. She is brilliant and more qualified than I am but I can't afford more unfortunately.

This is the problem, isn't it? Most of us pay what we can afford (and sometimes a bit more) but even though the wages are traditionally low, people are still working in the early years sector. With a harsh business hat on, I'd say that if people are prepared to work for relatively little pay then it can't be all bad. It is just such a shame that the childcare sector needs to be underpinned by people's goodwill - low pay, little paid overtime and yet we have the most important, responsible job.

Not a good foundation for a prospective job seeker! :o

All qualified to NVQ3 or equivalent, committee run setting

I wonder if there is a difference in pay levels depending on whether practitioners work in privately owned or committee run settings?

Guest Spiral

Hi all,

I wondered that too - also I think it depends on the qualifications of the staff, the area (rural or inner city etc), the funding amount per child and the overheads of the setting itself (rent, bills etc).

Once that's all been worked out you can pat yourself on the back and smile brightly as you know your role is also that of voluntary business manager and treasurer!

Definitely not in it for the money!

Spiral :o

Weare a committee-run pre-school just over the county line.

Assistants are on £7.28

Leader/Deputy £9.68

Manager....haven't a clue. She also has EYPS.

My sister on the otherhand gets £12.50 an hour for ironing. She cleans other peoples houses for £15 an hour (no windows!!)

My daughter's 17 year-old friend did 4 hours babysitting last Saturday and came home with £25. Children were in bed when she got there and other than several 'look-ins' at them during the evening she spent her time watching t.v.

I rely on doing as much overtime as possible to bring my pay to a decent amount and looking at what my sister can earn I believe we have every right to complain and feel hard done by.

I love my job and feel dedicated and committed to doing the best I can for children in my setting and for the people I work with.

I really feel for those of you who own and run your own settings trying to pay staff as much as you can while staying in business. The whole system is wrong isn't it!

Guest Spiral

Hi Dublinbay,

yes I do think the system is wrong, especially when we are overseen by Ofsted, the government and our local council's and expected to jump through hoops cramming in as much training as possible, meeting the guidelines - the same as every school, but without the financial security.

I think the gov't should look at this differently - pay the wage using a national scale and ensure the funding allows the wage to be paid!!

Ah well, maybe not in my lifetime,

Spiral

after looking at this i think we aren't paying enough as our level 3 assisitants are on £6.30.............. Ummmm!!!!!we are a sessional pre-school

Yes I know we deserve more but have to think that compared to a lot of full day settings I.e nurseries (pvi sector) there aren't bad wages.

I worked 2 years for min wag which at the time was about £5.53 an hour or not far off as was level 6 qualified

We are voluntary run preschool. Here's our table, we tried to link pay into encouraging staff to get additional qualifications, plus we had an assistant who was an EYP at one stage (lucky us, she soon got poached!):

Position Hourly Pay

Leader with EYP or QTS £9.03

Leader with NVQ Level 5 £8.58

Leader with NVQ Level 4 £8.28

Deputy Leader with EYP or QTS £7.87

Deputy Leader with Level 4 £7.51

Deputy Leader with Level 3 £7.22

Assistant - EYP or QTS £7.05

Assistant - NVQ Level 4 or above £6.80

Assistant - NVQ Level 3 £6.60

Assistant - NVQ Level 2 £6.37

Assistant - Below Level 2 £6.23

Bank Staff Rate £6.14

We also run a 'bonus scheme' whereby if staff complete certain tasks in their area of responsibility, they get a bonus payment at the end of the year.

We might have a bit of a surplus this year and I will try to channel that through to staff as some kind of overtime payment.

I wish we could pay more. I've lost count of how many times I have said to myself, 'I pay my cleaner more than this'.

Of course what you mustn't forget that the actual hourly cost to the setting is much higher than the hourly rate of pay to the individual. Once you add in employer's NI and holiday pay, our leader's rate is over £10 an hour as a cost to us.

Hi AGAIN I posted earlier and said that my staff should take a look at the above but I can see according to other places my staffs hourly pay is quite good

Trainees = 6.50 per hour

NVQ 2 = 7.50 PER HOUR

NVQ 3 = 8.50 per hour

NVQ 4 = 9.50 Per hour

Deputy - 10.50 per hour

and I am the Manager left with very little

WOW! our staff get £5.95 an hour (level 3) with the deputy on £6.50 and the manager on £7.00 an hour. I was £6.53 an hour as the EYP until the end of March. And we really can't afford anything else at all. The higher rates for deputy and manager reflect the fact that although we are officially a committee run preschool, they do the admin side of things.

thank you to everyone who has replied so far ...doing a rough calculation it would appear that the averages are.....

unqualified £6.24

Assistant(qualified)£6.53

Senior £7.53

Deputy £8.22

Manager £8.41

obviously these are very rough calculations and do not take into account any bonus's/extra holiday entitlemnet/pay for training days etc etc.

the reason i asked the question was that a trade paper suggested that the average pay for assistants was £ 7.80 and i had a panic as this is somewhat above what i now pay :o

its fab that we are able to ask questions like this on here and get quick replies...its very difficult to work out if you are paying fairly as pay scales are not always helpful or relevant

I do however have to agree with those of you who say this is just not enough...im so busy at the moment i have had to ask a lady to do my ironing at a cost of £10 per hour (and thats cheap around here!)

How are we going to be able to afford EYP's for every setting when we are competing with schools for them? ...and they dont have the sorts of overheads we do with rent etc.

xD:(:(

Well we're not, are we - I certainly can't

I wondered about this - I'm not sure what use a school would have for an EYP. The Status doesn't allow you to teach in a classroom setting, although I know that TAs do PPA cover, and work with small groups of children on their own. I'm not sure that many schools would want their TAs to achieve the Status - wouldn't they be looking to become HLTAs? Or go and do their teacher training? :o

I wondered about this - I'm not sure what use a school would have for an EYP. The Status doesn't allow you to teach in a classroom setting, although I know that TAs do PPA cover, and work with small groups of children on their own. I'm not sure that many schools would want their TAs to achieve the Status - wouldn't they be looking to become HLTAs? Or go and do their teacher training? :o

they probably wont want an eyp as yet but they will want my degree candidates to train up and do pgce's or gttp and there is no way i can compete against £24,000 salary...i ve already lost my deputy to a school and now have two staff doing degrees (which i help support financially with costs!) they are both young and enthusiastic and as an ex trainer myself i support CPD fully but it is so difficult when you know it will lead to them leaving. Also my deputy and myself are less inclined to do our degrees as we know we will never get paid the rate we deserve for the job.I was paid more in my job 22 years ago than i am on now!

Gosh, my staff better not start moaning!!

NVQ3- £8.53 per hour

Dep - £9.60

Manager £11.06

However we have all been there for years & years & not sure if someone new coming in would get the same rate. Also my Dep & I do loads of 'out of hours' work