Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Would You Have A Problem With The Teacher Telling Your Kid She Was A L

Hello everyone :)

i am studying the course E214 (previously known as E243)

im workin on TMA 02

thought id hear some of the people who have done the above course, their opinions and views on the question below.

any tips, advice, suggestions - will be great help to me :)

ok so the question is relating to Perspectives on equality and diversity, respect, Participation in practice, Boundaries to inclusion etc

This assignment asks you to explore at least one perspective other than your own while demonstrating that you have critically considered the relevant issues raised in the module. In order to maintain the flow of your scenario and the voice of your characters, you can provide the brief critical discussion and evidence of your study in footnotes or by some other form of distinctly separate text.

The footnotes should be short entries that demonstrate critical thinking or evidence of understanding, e.g. ‘Bilingual staff are central to Bangabandhu too – See E214, Unit 11, p. 169 or ‘This statement demonstrates the tension between notions of integration and inclusion’

I HAVE CHOOSEN Scenario 1

Eli is told by her daughter, Mary, who is in year 3, that her teacher has informed the class that she is celebrating a civil partnership with her (female) partner over the summer holiday. Eli is uncomfortable knowing that her daughter’s teacher is a lesbian and feels it is inappropriate for her to share her sexuality with the children. She goes to the head teacher to complain that this is another example of inclusion going too far. The head teacher, Kath, is very proud of the inclusive ethos that has built up in the school. ‘Everyone is welcome here’ is the school motto. She has been keen to build up a diverse staff group within the school and has the reputation of being very supportive of her staff.

write the discussion which takes place between Eli and Kath. In your dialogue, set out Eli’s concerns first of all. Then write Kath’s response, in which she describes how the school views inclusion and what that means for Eli, her daughter and those who work at the school. Make Kath’s description an honest one: do not attempt to idealise the school. Remember to think about how each person might address the other. Your work should conclude with a brief response from Eli, setting out how she now feels about what should happen next.

SO DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS IN WHAT I CAN INCLUDE? HOW TO START, WHAT I SHOULD DISUSS ABOUT? ANY LINKS RELATING TO THE ABOVE MATTER? MOST OF ALL DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERINCE ON THE ABOVE?

THANKS TO ALL

lisa

xxx

Dia is told by her daughter, Ann, who is in year 3, that her teacher has informed the class that she is celebrating a civil partnership with her (female) partner over the summer holiday. Dia is uncomfortable knowing that her daughter’s teacher is a lesbian and feels it is inappropriate for her to share her sexuality with the children. She goes to the head teacher to complain that this is another example of inclusion going too far. The head teacher, Pat, is very proud of the inclusive ethos that has built up in the school. ‘Everyone is welcome here’ is the school motto. She has been keen to build up a diverse staff group within the school and has the reputation of being very supportive of her staff.

Dia is going to dicuss this with Pat, How do you think Dia's concerns should be addressed? what questions could be asked?

Most likely Pat will describes how the school views inclusion and what that means for Dia, her daughter and those who work at the school.

What response do you think will be made by the headteacher, and will Dia be convinced? about how she now feels about what should happen next.

i want to hear peoples opionions and thoughts on the above matter, keeping in mind the child is in year 3 (7/8yrs old). and the schools inclusion policy.

thanks in advance :D

Dia is told by her daughter, Ann, who is in year 3, that her teacher has informed the class that she is celebrating a civil partnership with her (female) partner over the summer holiday. Dia is uncomfortable knowing that her daughter’s teacher is a lesbian and feels it is inappropriate for her to share her sexuality with the children. She goes to the head teacher to complain that this is another example of inclusion going too far. The head teacher, Pat, is very proud of the inclusive ethos that has built up in the school. ‘Everyone is welcome here’ is the school motto. She has been keen to build up a diverse staff group within the school and has the reputation of being very supportive of her staff.

Dia is going to dicuss this with Pat, How do you think Dia's concerns should be addressed? what questions could be asked?

Most likely Pat will describes how the school views inclusion and what that means for Dia, her daughter and those who work at the school.

What response do you think will be made by the headteacher, and will Dia be convinced? about how she now feels about what should happen next.

i want to hear peoples opionions and thoughts on the above matter, keeping in mind the child is in year 3 (7/8yrs old). and the schools inclusion policy.

thanks in advance :D

In my opinion it is quite simply just the same as a heterosexual teacher telling the class she is getting married. I would expect this inclusive ethos to be of great benefit to everyone involved with the school and to be presented and seen in a positive light. Whether Dia is convinced depends on her.

I wouldnt have had a problem with my children being told, I maybe would have liked to be informed first so I could have answered any questions that might have arisen at home, just to be prepared really. The shock I had when the youngest told me he'd watched a video of a birth sent me to the head to ask if this was normal in Yr6 because I hadnt been shown that until Yr 7 or 8 at the earliest. I bumbled through the initial questions because of it.

I like the heads ethos. Children are going to come across all sorts of language as they get older, so an understanding of what the words really mean is good. Aswell as seeing it as normal and not something to swept under the carpet or derided.

From my own school days I had no idea what people meant when they called someone a 'crisp' refering to Quentin Crisp. I was in my twenties before I understood.

I also think that the teacher has every right to share her good news with her class as any teacher would if they were celebrating some exciting news.

What better way to learn a little about 'different relationships' than from someone a child trusts and can see for themselves is a kind, loving 'normal' person.

Like anyone sharing their'wedding' news with a class, she is not discussing what's going to go on at the honeymoon, just appropriate information for a year three class.

Well done for the headteacher for having, and standing by, a ethos of inclusion and acceptance.

I totally agree with all the above replies. Dia may find it difficult herself, but that is because of her own knowledge and feelings which will come from learnt attitudes to people who have different relationship preferences. It doesn't sound as if she comes from a fundamentalist religious background where she may have been taught that same sex relationships are wrong. We have seen recently what happened to the family who are not able to foster children because of their views on homosexuality, for example.

Children will have no preset opinions other than those they absorb from the people around them. This teacher is celebrating her partnership and what she does in the sexual side of her life is nobodies business but hers, and that is no different from a heterosexual teacher. That wouldn't be discussed would it? If no-ones makes a fuss the children will just accept the situation as normal which is what inclusion is about.

I agree with much of what has been said but personally would prefer if the school let parents know first - not because it is a lesbian relationship - just that I think news could be shared in a newsletter.

Whilst it does reflect a positive inclusion ethos I think the 'diversity of parents' also needs to be considerd, rightly or wrongly there may be some parents (like Dia!) who have a problem - the opportunity for parents to explain to their children in their own time and own way would be nice.

Oh and yes Maz I have definitely read this somewhere before very recently and I am guessing either newspaper or nursery world??

Oh and yes Maz I have definitely read this somewhere before very recently and I am guessing either newspaper or nursery world??

I did a bit of digging and found that lisa88 had previously started this discussion in the training forum. I've merged the two together, so that people know this is not a real-life situation, but left it in the Inclusion forum since this is where people have replied.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)