Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sue Palmer

hali

I heard her speak a couple of weeks ago and she was very interesting and amusing, certainly worth listening to. I was just sorry that although she spoke for a couple of hours there was no real opportunity to question her in detail, or discuss what she was saying.

The conference I went to was called “The State of Play: Promoting Children’s Wellbeing’ and was about her research on the effects of contemporary culture on child development, and how lifestyles can affect children’s mental health and wellbeing. For example she talked about the effect of TV and computers on children and that these may prevent children and adults communicating effectively. She was especially concerned with the effects of using technology with very young children, when they should be exploring their environment with supportive adults. She then went on to discuss the importance of play and the changes in children’s play habits over the last three decades. She particularly mentioned the importance of outdoor play, exploration and the importance of learning about risk. She said that there were 5 things that every child needs to develop healthily

1. Love. 2 Discipline. 3. Play. 4. Language 5. Education

Yes it was, and she was promoting her book Detoxifying Childhood. I just wish we could have had more of a debate, as there were questions people wished to ask and people wanted time to talk about it all. It was an LA day for school governors so no time planned for that, and then the afternoon was spent on the reorganisation of LA's and the Academies Act. Rather dry :o

Today she was talking about language and literacy acrooss the cirriculum and basically was saying children under 7 shouldnt be 'writing' everything should be done orally and outside as much as possible. She was very much for the 'Finish' way of doing things and that all pre schoolers should be 'taught' through music and singing, she was very much for letting children take risks and was basically saying our 21st entruy children are being 'held back' by thier parents and technology! xD

But she was very funny :o

She was at our early years conference yesterday. If the only thing you know of Sue Palmer is that rather prim and straight laced BBC video produced to promote her toxic childhood book, you'll be in for a surprise. She is exactly the opposite of what I expected - challenging, thought provoking, yes, but with a wicked sense of humour and a down to earth approach to pedagogy and parent support that I found very refreshing!