Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Can Teachers Become Local Councillors?

I am becoming more and more involved in my village issues (we have had our fair share) and vacancies on our Parish Council have arisen in time for the local elections. I'm really interested, think I can fit it in and would like to stand BUT does anyone know if I can't become one as a Teacher. The Parish I'm involved is on the opposite side of town to the one my school is in.

Any ideas - don't want to really ask anyone at school at the moment!!!

Not sure - I cannot see any reason why not really.. providing you meet the requirements for joining.

but it did remind me that our headmaster when I was at school was also a local magistrate... he often commented what would happen if any of us ended up in front of him!

Hi bluesheep - I don't know.......but really can't see why not.....

if you don't want to ask at school......could you approach it from the other direction.......there are guidelines that Parish Councillors have to follow - I'm thinking perhaps a 'google'! :o

I'm desperately trying to remember if we have ever had any teachers on our Parish Council.......funnily enough I don't think we ever have! :(

Good luck - come back and let us know if you find out the answer! xD

i have to say i dont think this is a problem at all (though you may need to check) but i can recall several people who have been in your position and our local elected lib dem councillor is also a local teacher. the best person to ask would be the town clerkas they are the ones who tend to run the show! :o i ma sure you will be a great asset town councils really need more 'normal' people xD

I think you will be able to stand for the Parish Council as they are not your employer.

The Town Council is a different matter if it is where you work, as then you would not be able to stand as they are your employer. No-one who works for the Council, including teachers, is eligible.

http://www.testvalley.gov.uk/PDF/electing3county.pdf

Many thanks your all your feedback - I'd really like to do it and have just had the nomination pack from the clerk. Have just had a quick flick through - I fit the residency/electoral roll criteria but there is a bit about not being eligible if employed by the council - however not sure which one they mean - parish council or town council. If as Jacquie L says it means the Parish council - I'm ok as its the LA/town council I am employed by! Am going to email the clerk and ask him - will let you know when I hear back!