Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help! Need Efficient Supplier!

I have just spent or should I say wasted most of the morning trying to order 2 items worth over £300 from a well known educational supplier. The website was awful, and the phone team didn't seem to be able to answer simple questions. After an hour of frustration I was told that one item was not in stock and would take 8 weeks to order!! So as you can imagine I have cancelled the order.

I was only going with them because they claimed to have the 2 items, and also they would set us up a credit account.

Can anyone recommend me a good, efficient supplier of preschool stuff with an easy to use website and credit account facilities?

I'm not mentioning which company it was I have tried just in case that is not allowed!

We used different ones depending on what was wanted... not one for all. Most would set up an account for us...

perhaps if you let us know what you are looking for or a hint in the areas, furniture, supplies etc someone may be able to help...

We had a Consortium account for early years, but think I must have managed it just before they stopped allowing pre-schools to have accounts... unless big furniture we had next day delivery... sometimes the larger items were made to order which was why they took longer... not much help - but then they could be the ones you have issues with...

if we are recommending companies we should also be able to say steer clear of ones....

I need to get a new book corner rug and a padded outdoor mat, it's to replace items lost in an insurance claim.

It was TTS who wasted an hour of my life! :o

totally sympathize with you...similar experiences here!!!

We have used Step by Step and found them incredibly prompt - large furniture arrived two days later and even as a first time customer we paid on account!

Best of luck...let us know who you've found efficient and reliable and I'll add them to my very short list!

Hi, thanks for that, will try them now for the padded mat.

I have just found a lovely lady at a company called edusentials who was able to do the corner rug for me in 3 weeks rather than 8, and at about £30 less than TTS, which tells you something about how much profit these companies make out of us!

All I can say, is that i have used TTs on many occasions, years ago and every time something went wrong. Same as you SuzieC8, they told me things were in stock and sometimes I waited and waited and then had to phone to find out where the items where, only to be told they were out of stock. (having been told they were in stock when i ordered them!!!) There was a really big problem just over a year ago and i wrote and complained - they didn't seem interested - i vowed i wouldn't use them again.

Their stock is good - they just can't get their act together.

Two weeks ago, i relented and ordered goods. I decided to pay £9.95 for express delivery - that way making sure I got the stuff. I was told all goods were in stock and they would be delivered on the Monday. I arranged for a neighbour to be in - she stayed in all day. NO DELIVERY AT ALL. Long story short - I phoned TTS only to be told some goods were out of stock and the other items would be delivered in 2 days. I kicked up a fuss and made sure my £9.95 was refunded. Yesterday, i had a credit note sent for that amount - going well, I thought. Until i opened a small parcel with hooks in it, that was delivered yesterday £4.99, as part of the larger original order. WITH A CHARGE OF £2.99 FOR DELIVERY. :o You know who i'll be phoning when i finish work tomorrow????????

NEVER AGAIN.

I am going to send for a Step by Step catalogue if they are OK

Whinge over

Sue J

I too had a bad experience with this company. Waited 8 weeks for a toy cement mixer then it came without a vital part, rather than just send me the part they wanted me to pack it up and send it back and wait another 8 weeks for another one!

Have to say I've had good dealings with TTS, apart from the annoying fact that although I'm registered with them online, when I wanted to change how I paid I had to ring them up to order after going through the whole thing online. I've found that price wise they are quite reasonable too.

Having said they are good though, I'm just thinking I ordered 2 things that were due to be delivered in February and they aren't with us yet.... hmmm feel a phone call coming on.

I have just spent or should I say wasted most of the morning trying to order 2 items worth over £300 from a well known educational supplier. The website was awful, and the phone team didn't seem to be able to answer simple questions. After an hour of frustration I was told that one item was not in stock and would take 8 weeks to order!! So as you can imagine I have cancelled the order.

I was only going with them because they claimed to have the 2 items, and also they would set us up a credit account.

Can anyone recommend me a good, efficient supplier of preschool stuff with an easy to use website and credit account facilities?

I'm not mentioning which company it was I have tried just in case that is not allowed!

Oh this did make me laugh!! No clues then??!!!!! Took me a minute though, but I can be very very slow!:oxD

I've also had problems with that supplier and they owe me money, not a huge amount £6.99 but I can't get it out of them they want me to order something, because of the poor service I've had (twice) I won't order anything :o

However I have had good service from Hope Educational, Step by Step and Asco Educational BUT I have had to pay 'up front' as we are a packaway setting - why is that?

Can I ask where people get their Stationery Supplies?

I'm after paint, backing papers for the display board, glue etc I used to have (now closed) a really good local supplier who delivered next day free of charge and I could order exactly 1 each of paint colours not classroom packs - as we are a packaway setting there is no way we can store the large quantities that people like Hope, SBS sell.

Hi we get all our consumables and more from a company called A to Z Supplies not sure what neck of the woods your from.

We get invoiced and pay by Bacs its easy peasy, items in stock delivered within a couple of days other items may take a little longer, we always check when ordering.

We are also packaway so make sure you tell them your openings hours or alternative delivery address if you decide to go with them.

try S&S services -- seem to be very competitive, give a discount and are prompt with delivery (not sure about next day though, but you could ask)

They are a very friendly bunch and you can now also order online. They have quite a good range now and just a thin brochure so its easy to just flick through, circle what you want and then phone and go through page by page...less hassle than writing a list. Online its a little more fiddly because it's sectioned off and you go in and out but it's really straightforward (must be if I've managed! LOL)

Great for ordering 1 of everything rather than 50 and storing!

Edited by gingerbreadman

We have had so much trouble with TTS that we are now banned, by the secretaries, from using them because so much of their time is consumed with every aspect of order and delivery. We thought it was just us!

Our LEA has a supply catalogue which we can order pretty much anything from.

S

I generally use the Consortium, but have recently been looking at the YPO catalogue, which appears to be cheaper for several things i'll be ordering, such as sand, paint, glue and paper, plus they have no minimum order, though it looks as though it could take a few days to have stuff delivered. But, Consortium does deliver free of charge, next day on orders over £50 and are usually very good at being on time.

I'm looking to buy a good outdoor sand tray that can be left out permanently..........................any suggestions?

I generally use the Consortium, but have recently been looking at the YPO catalogue, which appears to be cheaper for several things i'll be ordering, such as sand, paint, glue and paper, plus they have no minimum order, though it looks as though it could take a few days to have stuff delivered. But, Consortium does deliver free of charge, next day on orders over £50 and are usually very good at being on time.

I'm looking to buy a good outdoor sand tray that can be left out permanently..........................any suggestions?

http://www.hope-education.co.uk/pre-school...-play-tray-red/

We have the water tray above which is kept outside all year (water is drained everyday so that it doesn't freeze and crack)

I'm not sure what sort of setting you are but YPO won't deliver to us as we don't work from our own premises.

Just struggling to get individual rolls of the backing paper that you use on display boards - S&S rolls are really long and expensive, but S&S Services seem to be able to offer most of the other things in single quantities which is what we need, so thank you everyone for the suggestion.

I sometimes use Viking for Schools catalogue - they have special offers - I bought packs of blu-tac for 50p each and large pritt sticks for the same price. I also bought extra wide rolls of fadeless backing paper and a month or so ago there was a special offer of one ream of business paper for 9p - YES NINE PENCE!!! maximum order of 10 reams - just what you need for all the paperwork you have to do. I have just requested this years School catalogue as mine had gone astray. They don't sell lots of resources, just the basics - perhaps worth a look.

Sue J

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)